Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s2kman
    • Nov 2003

Burn time in Nero has Tripled??? Help please

I am using the Plextor PX 708A to copy some of my DVDs. What I do is just use DVD Shrink and Nero vs. 5.5 to copy them.

I have always done it this way. But for some reason, the last about 6 disks that I burned have taken over an hour and a half at 4X speed. Up until then I had never had the burn process in Nero take over about 20 mins.

Does anyone know what is wrong? I haven't done any upgrades to Nero or the the firmware... So I am clueless now.

There is no problem with the disks, because they play fine afterwards and I have been using Ritechs since day one....

Anyone have any suggestions??
    PC:
    1.4 GHZ Athlon, 256 MB Ram, Win XP, Plextor PX-708A, Ritech 4X Media.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

Haven't heard of such "actual burn" process @ less than 1 X. I've burned "full capacity" 1X RW's in less than an hour.

If you don't find a solution to the Nero burning, you could : use 'Shrink with IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1 ( from Coujo.de) and DvdDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 to burn with. You might need an aspi layer installed (O.S. wasn't mentioned) , yahoo search for "force aspi". These are all freewares.

You could include more spec.'s of rig, etc. for some other posters to help you easier.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• s2kman
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Quality's Proof
      Haven't heard of such "actual burn" process @ less than 1 X. I've burned "full capacity" 1X RW's in less than an hour.

If you don't find a solution to the Nero burning, you could : use 'Shrink with IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1 ( from Coujo.de) and DvdDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 to burn with. You might need an aspi layer installed (O.S. wasn't mentioned) , yahoo search for "force aspi". These are all freewares.

You could include more spec.'s of rig, etc. for some other posters to help you easier.

Ok, I've put in a signature now, so hopefully it will show my PCs specs.

Do you think that it is most likely a problem with Nero? If that is the case, then I will look to other software, or just do a re-install. I just hope that it isn't my burner....

Thanks for the feedback.
      PC:

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

As to a problem with Nero....Lots of threads on many different forums about problems with Nero. Nero does have a device read/write speed setting (tools or whatever it is) that you could check and set to maximum (seems there's a free download.

If you want to rule out a mechanically defective burner.....try burning an RW or regular -R or +R with DVDDecrypter with burn setting set @ maximum or 4X. DVDDecrypter can rip a D-5 and burn that D-5 by ripping in the ISO mode and burning in the ISO mode...lots of guide on how to use this.

If you have a D-5 which you are going to back-up, it's a "no-brainer. It's a small download ~ 800kb.

P.S. If you are going to do a lot of DVD movie back-ups with DVDShrink, the "sweet-spot" for Ram mb seems to be ~ 400mb, another 128 mb, might help with the 'Shrink time.
        Last edited by Quality's Proof; 10 Feb 2004, 04:42 AM.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• s2kman
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Quality's Proof

P.S. If you are going to do a lot of DVD movie back-ups with DVDShrink, the "sweet-spot" for Ram mb seems to be ~ 400mb, another 128 mb, might help with the 'Shrink time.
          Thanks for that tip....I will pick up another 256mb today....
          PC:

Comment

• s2kman
            • Nov 2003

And this may be a really stupid question, but how do I calculate the exact write speed, whether it's writing from DVD Decrypter or from Nero?
            PC:

Comment

• rdgrimes
              • Dec 2003

I'll bet a dollar that your burner has switched to PIO mode from UDMA. Just uninstall the IDE controller and reboot to fix it.

Comment

• s2kman
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by rdgrimes
                I'll bet a dollar that your burner has switched to PIO mode from UDMA. Just uninstall the IDE controller and reboot to fix it.
                Cool...I will try that first, I'm open to any ideas......
                PC:

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

As to the PIO vs. the DMA, UDMA is supposed to be selected, but poster did state no upgrades done to Nero nor any firmware updates, nor was any mention of cd ripping/writing. There are numerous reports of burning problems (including slow burning, slow ripping, etc. with Nero installed, selected/enabled for G.U.I. type use by 'Shrink, etc.. There are even some spywares which can cause some problems.

So, if 'tis UDMA retro'ed to PIO, something did cause such "granny gear" response from the burner. The culprit of the unauthorized downshifting should be correctly identified and rebuked, lest updates and patches from Nero never happen.
                  Rig :

Comment

• rdgrimes
                    • Dec 2003

The culpret is XP, it does it all by itself, on a regular basis.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jan 2004

Yeah, I read about that, that's why I advised poster to try DVDDecrypter as XP doesn't control that burning engine and therefore could rule out burner as problem.

That's another good thing about burning with 'decrypter, no "granny-shifts" allowed, always (mostly) maximum speed burns. I've burned so many, many playable back-ups with DVDDecrypter, that I keep forgetting the so very many problems trying to burn with Nero.....I just thought of a funny......Nero is owned by the MPAA........
                      Rig :

Comment

• s2kman
                        • Nov 2003

Problem fixed!! Thanks to you guys...

First thing I did was check the IDE controller and yep it was set to PIO...so I fixed that, and while I was at it, I installed the aspi layer and flashed the drives firmware....

Then I used decrypter, and it topped out at 8X. So then I tried Nero again and it also ran at 8X.

Much smoother and faster now....

Thanks guys for all of your help!!!!
                        PC:

Comment

• ashy
                          • Nov 2003

The culpret is XP, it does it all by itself, on a regular basis.
                          Rdgrimes is right, Windows XP has a habit of doing this for no reason at all. Just another quirk from Windows I suppose. It's a well known problem and NOT the blame of any particular software as seems to be implied here.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Jan 2004

ashy,

Lots of posts on this thread from posters trying to help poster with problem and you post after the drive is working @ pre-problem speed, with another cheap shot at me as you did on another thread awhile back. So, you're a poster whom lurks my posts for the cheap shot. Read my posts on the OFF TOPICS "Test Your IQ" and do read my post about wisdom.

Though all of us did post to help with the thread-starter's problem.......by some acknowledgements (yours included), the problem is still not solved, bedause, as you qouted, "Windows does it all the time (set from UDMA to PIO)." As I stated earlier, burning with DVDDecrypter, (Windows does not do it at all), as I have burned many many burns and that PIO setting did/has not happened (after un-installing Nero).

So, what has been decided was, "When the tire gets low(almost flat), put some air in it, until next time it gets low." Whereas, I said, "Here's a free tire without a leak, all you gotta do is take the flat tire off and put the new tire on.".

I haven't noticed the persons burning with DVDDecrypter as complaining of windows setting the read from UDMA to PIO after burning with DVDDecrypter. There has to be an incompatibility or something for Windows to do so with Nero installed.......Effect does follows cause, does it not? All I see is a treatment for a symptom, not a cure for the actual problem.

Still, I am glad poster is now burning @ 8X.
                            Rig :

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Jan 2004

s2kman,

You are welcome. Glad that you're burning @ 8X, now. With an aspi installed you can now download Smartripper v.2.41 , it's a freeware ripper and a little better than DVDDecrypter for those problem rips that DVDDecrypter has a problem with (SmartRipper needs an aspi layer to work, also on some movies, you may have to play the computer dvd player (software dvdplayer (windvd, powerdvd, etc.)), to "authenticate the disc (so SmartRipper can get the keys)) and then close the player and rip, first, press the files button and then check (to the left of) each box beside each vob, etc., then click start. SmartRipper is fun.

The extra Ram should help your Deep analyzing speed, also.

Do post if another problem as we will be glad to help you, if we can.
                              Rig :

Comment

Working...