• Feb 2004

Burned copy plays on Xbox and not DVD Player

Hey guys, I've just recently started burning DVDs. I'm currently using:

LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S
    NERO 6
    DVD SHRINK 3.1.4
    Generic blank DVDs from PC CLUB
    Panasonic DVD player

The thing is, I started burning DVD's on my friends computer, a Sony Vaio. He bought his computer with a DVD burner already installed. I used nero and dvd shrink on his computer and burned some dvds successfully, playing on my dvd player as well as my xbox fine.

I got tired of mooching off of my friend so I bought a computer of my own. With the burner listed above. I go through dvd shrink and nero successfully, but the burned dvd will only play on my xbox and not on my standalone dvd player. I used the same media, and the same programs. The only thing I can think of that is different is the burner.

I've tried burning it at 2x and also tried changing the region to region 1 instead of region free and it still won't play on the standalone. Can anyone think of any settings that might be different or anything at all that might cause this.

Thanks in advance
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Not sure if it will help but have are you using version 6.3.0.3? If not dowload it from http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php. Can't hurt updating.

If that doesn't work try using DVD Decryptor to burn...?

Try what Quality's Proof suggested to me, I get pretty good results now.

Originally posted by Quality's Proof
    Try burning a disc with DVDDecrypter and see if movie plays in all 3 players (try an rw, if you have an rw disc, no need to buy one, though).

If you don't want to take so much time to 'shrink, etc,., try a D-5 back-up and rip the movie with DVDDecrypter in MODE ISO Read and then write that movie in MODE ISO Write and check results on that burned -R.

When I burn top quality DVD-R discs, TDK, Memorex, etc. and even decent quality generic DVD-R's ($1.00 ea.) with DVDdecrypter, I do get that 100 % PS2 and XBox compatibility.

If you are getting different results with different burners with Nero, seems obvious, your problem is Nero.

Compliant back-ups is a formula.

DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 is a freeware as is the ISO maker IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1 (from Coujo.de) (needed to turn 'Shrink files into ISO so DVDDecrypter can burn that ISO'ed movie).
    Best of luck

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

cyberz350,

Besides the good advice above.......dvdrhelp.com maintains a listing of standalone/media compatibility and meritline.com has a listing of guaranteed burner/media.

You have a good quality player and burner and 'Shrink does work. The'decrypter solution works well for many. You can also download the freeware G.U.I. autoshrinkISO v. 3.1 from mrbass.org for that "one-click" solution (it works well once your rig is set-up).
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...