Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graylion08
    • Feb 2004

Best Media?

What's the best and most reliable media? I'm looking for something that will last. TDK? Ritek? Does it matter?
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

Most media that comes from Japan seems to be of good quality. Use dvdinfopro or dvd identifier to see the actual manufacturer of the dvd. I personally like Fuji. Either one you mentioned is good. Go here www.dvdrhelp.com to check out the different brands of media and what other users have to say.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

The above post is helpful......but, if you are wanting info. as to what is the best end result (for standalone, PS2, XBox playing), the answer also includes the actual burner and the burn program.

I've burned 100's of DVD-R back-ups which play flawlessly with several different brands of media with a simple, easy to use freeware solution as have others, too. On some systems, the $0.60 discs play as well as the $5.00 discs......so, it's the overalll picture which a person must really look at, when they are tring for that "100%" burn, so they can share their back-ups with friends, etc.. It really is a formula.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• cyrano
        • Jan 2004

Both answers are helpful. Knowing all of the variables is important. I have looked up different media at dvdrhelp and the reviews are usually mixed enough that one just has to take a chance.

The problem is, one is taking a chance usually on a large quantity of discs. Right now one can get 50 -R's for $50.00 at a well-known electronic chain store. The brand is Memorex. I can't check out their origin until I buy them.
        What is the usual policy if discs don't burn well. Do the larger stores take them back?

Thanks for any thoughts.
        - Mike

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

I've burned Memorex -R's w/Pioneer 104 w/ very good results, both jewel case (premium) and bulk. As to guarantee : Call the store/ask @ counter before checkout. Make sure these discs are Memorex (counterfeit discs have been showing up).

$1.00 disc sounds very cheap for Memorex, but did buy some (bulk) awhile back @ that price (.com). If you open pack and the discs have an oily-type residue, be prepared for the tops to turn color to a rust color.

So, what's your burner/standalone dvd player combination? Also, meritline.com has a list of guaranteed disc/burners which you can "cross-reference with dvdrhelp.com. Most of incompatibility is burning software and not burner/players (if good quality).

Compatible dvd movie back-ups is a formula.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• rdgrimes
            • Dec 2003

There's no such thing as "Memorex" media, as they don't make media. Memorex DVD-R can be any one of several types of media.

Since the poster did not specify whether he wanted brand names or maker names, it's tough to answer. But anything made in Japan is a safe bet.

Comment

• cyrano
              • Jan 2004

Perhaps my tech vocabulary isn't up to speed yet. I just got home from buying the 50 Pk Memorex DVD-R 4X. I got them at Best Buy where they had an instant rebate of $50.00. The final cost $49.00 before tax. (tax is high here is western Washington.)

By Media I was referring to the packagers of the discs.

They do say made in taiwan so maybe they're not the 'good kind'. I'll find out soon as I thought I'd burn something waiting on the HD.

I know there is another meaning for media type but I do not completely understand the differences yet. I have been reading up on it at dvdrhelp. I'm still learning.

So far this has been a very good hobby to learn and grow with.

My HT is enjoying the new food. And it looks really good. At 80" (@4:3) it has to.

BTW, My PJ is an Infocus X1, my burner is an Iomega Dual Format. My Processor is an AMD 2200+ and my HD is 80 gigs. My memory is corsair DDR400 512 megs. there's more but I'll probably put it in the sig eventually.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Later edit: These Memorex -R's seem to do as good a job as my TDK -R's.
              Of course maybe calling them TDK and Memorex isn't correct - I don't know. But that's the label on the packaging and on the discs. Whatever differences that are in the dye (in the code?) (between the wafers) are beyond me at this time. I know there is more to the "media" term than make and type ( -R +R -RW +RW and RAM) but I don't know that yet.
              Last edited by cyrano; 13 Feb 2004, 01:58 PM.
              - Mike

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

There are some blank discs (which are made in mainland China) which are being marketed as Memorex discs and Memorex is not happy about such falseness.

Supposedly, there are only 2 (actual factories) makers of such discs, by some accounts, but each Branded version is suppose to have different "quality controls", spec.'s, etc.. Most of the time, the failure rate is much higher forthe "bulk pack" discs than for the jewel pack discs, even of same brand (less chance for physical damage, etc..

Top-of-the-line discs are usually less problem plagued than unknown discs. Only 2 years ago, Memorex had a serious "quality" problem, that seems to have been solved. TDK is kind of a "benchmark" whereby other discs are compared to (quality, failure rate, etc.). As to all discs being = , there ain't no such critter.

meritline.com has guaranteed compatible media/burner discs at about $1.25 ea. for 100 or 200.
                Rig :

Comment

• mwrublew
                  • Dec 2003

Took advantage of the same Memorex deal as Cyrano. However, my experience wasn't nearly as good. Burn speed dropped and I've made a few coasters amongst other burn issues. The "purple" hew is much lighter than the Imation (sp?) that I've used with a near 100% success rate.

Drive: Lite-On 411s
                  Burn Software: RecordNow Max

So much for chasing a price deal, I'll remember to llok for the Made in Japan logo from now on.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

Here's a point also, the Imation discs, used to have a bad rep, also, and now, a lot of people are having good burns.

I've used the Memorex and burned with DVDDecrypter on a Pioneer 104 @ 2X and the compatibility is very good. These burns play in Pioneer, RCA, Panasonic, PS2, XBos, sony, etc..

The Memorex Bulk is ~ as good as TDK.
                    Rig :

Comment

• rdgrimes
                      • Dec 2003

In the USA;
                      Memorex DVD+R can be: CMC, Mitsubishi or Ricoh
                      Memorex DVD-R can be: Ritek or CMC.
                      TDK DVD+R are generally Ricoh, but CMC is also possible.
                      TDK DVD-R can be TDK or Maxell.

In Europe and Asia, things are different to some extent.

Comments about the relative "quality" of Memorx or TDK might best be qualified by disclosing the maker of the media, as the quality can be completely different.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

"...quality can be different.", that's why we take inferior discs back to store for a refund.

If enough refunds are made, disc name becomes more concerned with quality as profits are lessened.

Then, of course, there are the "counterfeits". So, which of the "upstanding" factories has been "hood-winking" the public for increased profits. There are only so many factories that make such discs, which are dirty enough to counterfeit?
                        Rig :

Comment

• mwrublew
                          • Dec 2003

Just following up on my earlier post. The Memorex DVD-R's return a TTG01 Media Code (using DVD Identifier). From DVDRHelp that code belongs to TDK! Not sure if that means TDK is the manufacturer or not.

I have been able to successfully burn to these disks, but only by dropping to the lowest speed setting allowed by my Burning Software.

Comment

• rdgrimes
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by mwrublew
                            Just following up on my earlier post. The Memorex DVD-R's return a TTG01 Media Code (using DVD Identifier). From DVDRHelp that code belongs to TDK! Not sure if that means TDK is the manufacturer or not.

I have been able to successfully burn to these disks, but only by dropping to the lowest speed setting allowed by my Burning Software.
                            Those are indeed TDK, and an older media type. I've seen widely varrying results with them, from decent to complete crap.

Comment

Working...