Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigwig6666
    • Feb 2004

DVD Burn - Skipping After Copy

I have a MicroAdvantage 4x DVD+-R/RW Burner. I have been using DVD Xcopy and DVD Clone to attempt to make DVD copies of the actual disc, keeping intact extras and special features. All copies I have made work perfectly fine in the computer, but I have two other problems:

1) My toshia DVD player on my television will on play random (it seems) discs I burn. It played Rounders fine, but when I copied Family Guy...nothing, it won't read the disc.

2) I've copied family guy several times (the DVD set) and even though it doesn't play on my player...it plays on everyone else's player. However, it skips sometimes, or pauses for a second, or skips two seconds and keeps playing. Sometimes, the picture is distorted or digitalized, then goes back to normal. Does anyone know the soltuion to this problem? Will the quality and reliablility be better if I use DVD decryptor as suggested in the guide?

Greg
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

The burner. the media, the burning software, and the player(s). Not familiar with that brand burner, so can't really advise a specific brand media.

Is your dvd player (standalone) a -R or +R or multi (-R,+R) player (I'm thinking it's a -R if it plays back-ups)? What's the model type (letter and #'s)of the player (the Toshiba)? Will the back-ups play in PS2 and/or XBox (PS2 seems to be the general "rule of thumb") ? It seems you may have to change both your disc brand and burning software, but some more info. may yield a more defined answer. meritline.com has a lit of guaranteed burner/media you could look for your burner listing there.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Bigwig6666
      • Feb 2004

Well I have been fooling around with the software. I've been using DVD clone to create images, which I burn in Roxio DVD or Nero...this produces the most shakey results. Especially with roxio, I get a 5 minute loop that repeats half way through a DVD. I've used Intervideo DVD copy and Roxio DVD copy (while runing any DVD in the background, thus removing the copyright encryption), with same skipping results.

As for the DVD x-copy created DVD's, they play fine on PS2's and X-box's for the most part, still that one or two second skipping. I will change the media and see if that works.

I called Toshiba, and asked if my standalone dvd player, the sd-310 V played dvd-r....they said they didn't know. So I have no idea. It plays some but not all DVD backups. Is DVD-R a better media to use when making backups? I've been using DVD+R.

Anymore info would be great.

Greg

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

You could try mrbass.org for the autoshrinkISO v. 3.1 (it's a G.U.I. for a "one-click" solution) and use DVDShrink 3.1.5 Beta and DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 (as a ripper/burner).

You could look at the owner's manual or do a 'net search for -R spec.'s of the Toshiba player. If you loan your back-ups to friends, etc., it's a better idea to burn -R's (more players play -R's)

DVDShrink v. 3.1.5 Beta has the layer break removal feature which can sometimes work on a 1 or 2 second skip (even if it's not a layer break removal.......

DVDShrink.info has some very easy to understand guides. and mrbass.org has some guides which can help you use the G.U.I. for aa "one-click" type solution (after you set the paths correctly, it's as easy to use as XPress and on compression, is better.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Bigwig6666
          • Feb 2004

Have now tried Fujifilm DVD+R, Ritech DVD+RW, and Memorex DVD-RW media with no results...in fact now I'm getting less and less compatibility. Does anyone have any experience copying DVD with show episodes vs movies? Rounders was the only thing that copied sucessfully.

Greg

Comment

• Bigwig6666
            • Feb 2004

Recent copies, on Memorex media using DVD x-copy are not capable of playing on the computer.

Greg

Comment

• pagedavis
              • Sep 2003

Fist off im finding that alot of standalone DVD players (especially Sony and car DVD players) dont play the backup well because of the heat issue. When the DVD-R disc gets really hot it can't play without skipping through the movie.
              Yes, actually I mainly copy tc shows from DVD to blank disk. I would sudjest using shrink to get ride of all features, subscriptures, and for the menus use still frames with no sound. For the most part I get my main movie 100% i.e. no compression
              I really dont care about the carppy menus or the features. Ide rather have the shows to be perfect

Comment

• pagedavis
                • Sep 2003

Ive also tried the dvd x-copy...
                personally I never got it working - dont bother
                use the method described in the tutorial ( I have made my own idiot guide if you think it will help )

The method I use works perfect everytime. I buy the "no name" blank DVD-R disk's in bulk at 50 for $50 and they work perfect in any DVD player (simetimes the heat is an issue)
                but only in the car after watching like 3 movies in a row

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

DO NOT "still picture" the menu items, 'Shrink them if you want, but "still picture" the menu items causes problems, if you do so, have done so, be prepared to "chapter click" through those "still pictured" menu items (if you can).

Toshibas have a sometimes media compatibility problem/burner/burning software problem, even though published "spec.'s are very good. Try to play the discs (already burned) in a Pioneer (at Best Buys, Wal-Mart, etc.).
                  Rig :

Comment

• pagedavis
                    • Sep 2003

Please explain the problems that can occur with using still pictures? Personally I have over a hundred backups all done with this still picture option and have occured zero problems. I can't see the developers of Shrink making this option available only to cause problems you know ?
                    And also clarify on "chapter click" ive never heard that term before. If you mean that the menus appear to click into place and then just waight for you to select an option. Then yes, thats exactly what "Still pictures" does... no movement , still pictures ?
                    please dont think im trying to be an ass or anything - I really want to know what can happend simply do to the fact I have soo many already done with this option.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jan 2004

"Still Pictures" the menu items on a "full Disc" back-up (there is no menu on re-author).......when you 'Shrink the movie you are given option of no compression (100%), automatic compression ('Shrink sets compression), manually select compression rate with slider bar, de-select (audio strams). (Menu items is not main movie, trailers(usually), nor extras(usually))

If you still picture the menu items (these are items which show sound stream selection buttons, chapter selection, subtitle selection, etc.) which are usually (if not always on top of list and before movie), then you will not have a functioning menu, and will have to wait for the menu items to progress, as a slideshow, or use your chapter selector remote control button to skip all those "frozen pictures" menu items to the movie part. A chapter click is a remote control button which is clicked and is what is usual to proceed from one chapter to another of a movie, and such is not instantaneous.

As to your, "Please don't think I'm trying to be an ass......."......."I really can't see the developers of DVDShrink making this option available only to cause problems you know." :

According to the back-up discs I made with the "frozen Pictures" menu items, which I have to chapter-click through to the movie and then use the remote control's audio and subtitles button to select audio stream and subtitles with, and my kindly warning about such, and your caustic remark, it doth seem that I be the fool in this endeavour.
                      Rig :

Comment

Working...