Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuneo
    • Jan 2004

Will Dye's fade over time

rendering our backup's to be unplayable???

With the different quality/price issues's cropping up-i'm trying to figure whats going to happen long term.

I'm using DVD-R's from Shop for Tech (Longten) and Meritline's (Beall's) with great sucess....so far.

Just wondering if using the cheaper bulk disc's (which are working fine) are going to crap out down the road,and I should have been using Ritek all along.

Guess maybe it's too new a subject to answer yet-other quality issue's aside-I just wondering about Dye's in general.

CC Rider

(TDK 4X Burner 440N External)
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

The "rule of thumb", is to treat your back-ups as cherished photos (keep them out of direct or indirect light).

Really, all such dyes are cheap, whether they are TDK's or Be All's, it is the marketing schemes which persuades the prices. Such dyes comes in large containers with very little difference. from viewing meritline.com's pages, you have understood what to use. There are several $1.00 ea. DVD-R's which are as good (for all practical (how they are really used) purposes) as the $5.00 discs.

The labor costs to make such discs is cheap, the freight is cheap, the machinery (to make the discs) has been paid for (by profits), so the overall pricing falls and you get more of a real price.

The DVD media factories want DVD's to replace cd's as "THE CHOICE", so why sweat better fairness? The single-layer DVD writeables prices is gonna fall even more as competing dual-layer and the eventual "Blue Ray" specials arrive.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

IMO if it works do it. As stated above with new technologies coming out who knows. Vhs tapes are now transferred to dvd. What or when will our dvd's be transferred to ? Blue Ray ?

Comment

• dixie
        • Jan 2004

What is Blue Ray?? Excuse my ignorence

Comment

• kuneo
          • Jan 2004

One of the two format's being considered to produce High Def DVD's.
          If it becomes standard will will be buying new burner's that use it.

K

Comment

Working...