Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todd
    • Feb 2004

xbox compatibility?

i'm new to burning dvd's and i have a few questions. i was wondering if anyone here could help me out. First off, i have xbox version 1.0. i've burned dvd's with dvdshrink, dvdxcopy, dvddecrypter, and the newest nero and yes i've tried the xbox compatability mode. i've been using dvd-rw's(verbatim and hp). they play perfectly on my computer but not on my xbox or my stand alone dvd player(it's a pretty old dvd player). i'm pretty sure i have down the burning and shrinking part, so are dvd-rw's just not compatible with my dvd players or am i missing something? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by todd; 19 Feb 2004, 04:39 PM.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

Do a 'net search to find your dvd player's compatibility with DVD's. You might visit dvdrhelp.com and peruse their standalone/media compatibility if you are looking for a specific type DVD-R (if your player plays them).

If your player does not play the -R's then, if you are serious about dvd movie back-ups, a good idea is an entry level Pioneer dvd player at Wal-Mart for ~ $80US. Plays well burned -R's very good. It's a "no-brainer".
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• todd
      • Feb 2004

the main thing is getting it compatible with my xbox. i have way too much stuff connected to my tv to connect another dvd player. anything else i can do?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Does the XBox owner's manual say it plays -R's? You specifically mentioned version 1.0 and stated DVDXCopy burn won't play on the XBox (XCopy is one of the most compatible burns there is). I don't have the spec.'s here, but I am aware that many PS2 and XBoxes are supposed to play -R's. Is there a repair needed on your Xbox, or is it a version that is not as compatible as the PS2?

The other day, I described a burning method which worked for an XBox, but I didn't question the XBox'x age. So, is there a problem with -R compatibility with the Xbox. Because if there is, then my answer seems reasonable.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• todd
          • Feb 2004

oops my mistake. like i said i'm new to burning dvd's. i did not know there was dvd+rw and dvd-rw. i've been trying to get dvd+rw's to work on my xbox version 1.0. sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• todd
            • Feb 2004

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
            ANYONNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

• Quality's Proof
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jan 2004

Todd,

All of the PS2's play well-burned dvd movie back-ups, and so do many of the X Boxes (I've researched that some older XBoxes don't).

Do the net search about your make and model of dvd player (the old dvd player) and see if it will play the -R's (the older players someimes don't) and see if the v. 1.0 X Box plays any kind of dvd movie back-ups.
              Rig :

Comment

• todd
                • Feb 2004

i checked the site about the compatibility of the dvd player. supposedly it's one of the best for reading everything. its even got a selectable region (1-8). i tried playing the dvd+rw on each of the 8 regions and still no luck. could it be the brand of the dvd+rw or is it that i'm doing something wrong?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

What exactly is the make and model (model and #, if it's that type) of your dvd player?

Old dvd players don't play the DVD + RW's, and a lot of other DVD players don't play the - RW's.

The "Region 1 - 8" has nothing to do with playing - RW's and the + RW's, although most newer models will also play these discs.

Since you mwntioned the player is old, I'm wondering if the player will play any of the writeable DVD's.

There are many burned discs which will play on the computer and not on a standalone dvd player. So, it may be only an easy change in back-up method will solve (if player plays burned DVD's) the problem.
                  Rig :

Comment

• todd
                    • Feb 2004

i looked it up on that dvdrhelp site you gave me. the site says its able to play all forms of recordable dvd's and cd's. some people replied saying dvd+rw's worked and some replied saying they didnt. its a daewoo dvg-300n. on the the front of the dvd player it says DVD/VCD/SVCD/DVCD/CD/MP3. i don't know what some of those formats are or if its saying dvd+rw's are compatible or not.
                    Last edited by todd; 21 Feb 2004, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jan 2004

I looked up the Daewoo dvg 300N on the net and the site says that model (it is an old player) doesn't play the - R's or the + R's.

Wouldn't be a surprise if the X Box doesn't play them, also.

Don't know if you could "trick" the Daewoo into thinking a -R is a pressed DVD, but you could download the AutoShrinkISO v. 3.1 from : mrbass.org and check the "include dvd-rom content" box, and try burning on an RW.

There are some "sneaks" available for such, but I'm not "up" on it, as much as some are.
                      Rig :

Comment

• GaryJ
                        • Feb 2004

What model burner are you using?

Comment

• todd
                          • Feb 2004

HP DVD Writer 200j

Comment

• GaryJ
                            • Feb 2004

Utility HP 200i

Have you tried chaninging the from Mode1 to Mode2: HP download

Comment

• todd
                              • Feb 2004

hmm on the outside of my drive it says 200i, but when i go to update it, it says 200j and this makes the upgrade not compatible. im lost as to how to fix this?

Comment

Working...