Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amb7247
    • Feb 2004

PIONEER Black DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model DVR-106BK, OEM

I'm thinking about getting the PIONEER DVD-RW/+RW Model DVR-106BK and I have two questions. I read and so far the 106 is basically the same drive as the A06. So would that mean that I would be able to update the firmware for the Pioneer model I posted with this patch on this site http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/ and the file that I'm referring to is Pioneer DVD-106S v1.22 RPC-1?

And the second thing is I saw A06 supports dual layers burning?

It says DVR-106BK but I know many have gotten the DVR-106. Are these the same and would i safetly flash using the file Pioneer DVD-106S v1.22 RPC-1?

Thanks just wanna make sure when I get the drive that I don't ending up screwing it up. I just wanted to spend up to $120 for a dvd writer drive and hopefully burn dual layer dvd media discs.
  • amb7247
    • Feb 2004

I just wanted to add that if it doesn't write up to the 9.4GB that's ok, I have some dvd authorizing software that willl allow me to burn on the 4.7 type. Then I would probably get this burner and wait till the 8.5 is in demand and becomes more popular.
    Last edited by amb7247; 22 Feb 2004, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

Unless Pioneer's rep. lied, the 106 will burn the dual-layer. The 106 is the installed (at factory) Pioneer burner. The A06 is the retail version (after market retail). Many of the 106's are "line pulls" (assembly lines at factory) of extra stock which are re-sold to various .com's, etc., they do have a guarantee, and flashing updates, same as A-06.

Most of the "computer-savvy" persons, choose the 106, as this is really a $300 + dvd burner in retail guise. If you can install a DVD drive in 'puter, then the OEM version drives makes more sense.......also, the included softwares is sometimes better. Sometimes you can get PowerDVD, etc., included with OEM.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• amb7247
        • Feb 2004

good deal. I think I'll end up finding and getting the 106D. By the way, does the pioneer DVR-106BKthat is located at newegg.com the same as the 106 and 106D and can I flash it using the software located at http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

Seems, The "bk" in "106bk" means the color of the case (black). If you have a white or tan or grey computer casing as most of us do, the black cover of the 106bk will not look very good.

Also at newegg, I did not see any software included with drive. Be aware that unless you already have a dvd player software installed on your computer, that you might spend up to $ 50US extra for WINDVD, etc.. It is best to find a burner which includes this player software. Even, if you have to spend $140US for the burner and software, the total price would then still be less.

Non OEM (factory approved) firmware flashing is sometimes risky, and can ruin your burner. I would not flash except from factory if my budget did not easily allow for such a ruined drive's potential replacement.

meritline has/had the free shipping (see if they have the dvd player software in one of their "specials" and look at over all price of newegg (including shipping)? Hell, even had POWERDVD included w/OEM CD burner (yes, CD burner). These software player discs don't cost the .com's much, so do the 'net surf for a "dependable" .com, such as meritline or newegg type (A2Z computers might have a special, also, you could also search there). Make sure case color matches your computer color schem somewhat (usually white or tan color)).
          Last edited by Quality's Proof; 1 Mar 2004, 08:41 PM.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...