Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northerner
    • Sep 2003

Which discs can I use?

My burner is a Panasonic (OEM) SW-9571 which, I'm almost certain is a x2 burner. Up to now I have been using Datasafe x2 Media DVD-R's with 100% success but I'm now finding it difficult to get hold of any x2 discs.

My question is, can I use x4 discs with a x2 burner or will this cause me failure problems

Thanks for help
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"can I use x4 discs with a x2 burner"

Sure. Either your burner will automatically set to 2X, or you can, if necessary, manually select 2X...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

You should also check the burner mfg. site to see if there is a warning about using 4 X discs in a 2 X burner. And, whether the burner requires a firmware update to safely burn the 4 X discs.

Some of the Pioneer, etc. burners require(d) a firmware update before they could/can safely burn a disc which is/was rated at a speed higher than the burners' max. burn speed. You might need a firmware update, anyhow, so a visit to the mfg. site is a good idea.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Northerner
        • Sep 2003

You might need a firmware update, anyhow, so a visit to the mfg. site is a good idea.
        Tried that but this Panny model just isn't listed with an available update

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

As I said before, feel comfortable in burning your 4X DVDs at 2X...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Northerner

Tried that but this Panny model just isn't listed with an available update
            As setarip says, it alright to burn a 4 X dvd at 2 X : But :

Well, when the 4 X media came on the market, burning 4 X media in some 2 X burners did cause some ruined media and ruined burners. Some burners actually caught afire (this was burning a 4 x disc at 4 X in a 2 x rated burner). Such 4 X burning was mostly (reported) software's fault, undoubtedly most, if not all were software's fault.

It's up to you...Obviously, there shouldn't be a burner problem by writing at a much reduced speed of the media (Which is to write that 4 X media at 2 X or even at 1 X in the 2 X burner), if you are sure the burning software is fool-proof and will not burn at or attempt to burn at a speed significantly (I don't know about a 2.4 X burn) greater than the rated 2 X.

This was another reason for the firmware updates (hardware control of max. burn speed is more dependable as software control was/is undependable).

There are some freeware burning solutions, such as IMG Tools CLASSIC v. 0.91.1 / DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0, whereby you can set the burn speed to 1 X or 2 X and are somewhat dependable ( To many DVDDecrypter burns are more dependable than Nero burns).

It would be a good idea not to leave the computer unattended during the rip/process/ (burning of 4 X discs at 2 X) if you are using a G.U.I. which could take several hours (on a slow rig) for the total process. (my rig isn't slow, but did leave rig unattended while using a G.U.I. process (burn at end) and the burning software was somehow set to burn a CD at max speed (was a DVD back-up(so, S..t happens))), Being present during burn (only 30 minutes) is a good idea.

Your burner may be limited to ~ 2 X with present firmware. You should try several net search hits, until, you find something published by mfg.. If the present firmwqre is definitely set by mfg at 2 X, then no worries, you can put 8 X disc in burner and be alright. Make sure infor is from mfg and is correct model, etc., do not trust dealer/storer spec.'s as they are often wrong.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...