Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skavoovie
    • Feb 2004

Burning CD/DVD restarts computer - "serious error"

Okay, so here's the deal... my brother has an NEC ND-1300A Dual Format DVD burner that I wanted to borrow to burn some DVD's with. He's burned several DVD's/CD's on it before with no problems. So I take out my current CD burner which has always worked fine and installed the NEC DVD burner. Ripped one of my DVD's with DVD Shrink 3.1 and tried to burn the files on the DVD with Nero 5.5.10.54. Right in the middle of burning, the computer just restarts without warning and when Windows starts back up I get the message...

The system has recovered from a serious error

Error signature
    BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C000001D BCP2 : F5304001 BCP3 : 8227BF70
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

The following files will be included in this error report:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022404-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\MATTWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER46.tmp.dir00 \sysdata.xml

I tried 3 more times with the same exact results and 3 more useless DVD+R's. So to not waste any more precious DVD's I tried a CD-RW. Same thing with the error. I figured it might be Roxio messing stuff up. So I remove Roxio and try burning an audio CD this time with actually works fine, so I figure it's fixed. But I decide to try to burn some data onto a CD-RW just to test it... computer restarts with the error. So now I'm not sure what to do. Can anybody suggest anything? Here are the specs on my computer if needed... thanks.

AMD Athlon 1.30 GHz
    640 MB RAM
    60 GB Harddrive with about 10 free GB's of space
    120 GB Harddrive with about 95 free GB's of space
    I believe 250 Watt power supply but I'm not sure...
    GeForce 4... sound card... DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Version Service Pack 1 with all recent Windows updates
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

It's not unusual to have a "Name Brand" computer with a "rated" 250 watt power supply that is actually "bench-marked" to be really only 180 watts or so. Sometimes an "under-powered" power supply can cause many weird things to happen when using the computer and can cause false error reports.

You could verify the power supply's "actual" power by determining the make model, labeled "watts", etc., and do a 'net search for that and see what others have "bench-marked" that particular power supply at. All you have to do is type in the name, model and "actual power", power failure, etc., for some search "hits". If you can determine that particular power supply is questionable, then you could have it "bench-marked", by the local "techie", etc..

Also, you can go into windows and increase the amount of "virtual" memory very significantly......."error reports" are not always accurate, especially when there is a power supply "problem".

DVDShrink is "processor intensive" (uses processor at ~ 100 % ) and so a Deep Analysis could be the trigger to such a problem , also, as you describe, if your power supply is significantly less than 250 watts, as you do have 2 hdd's of significant size. This is aggravated when both hdd's are used at the same time. There are also many instances of such "crashes" when ripping "C.R.C." discs.

Also, you could make sure that there are not may softwares running in the background. And, use 'Shrink in "low priority" mode when doing a Deep Analysis", if system has a problem when using 'Shrink to process (the burning problem was when you were using Nero).

You could try this and determine if the problem is Nero specific : Do a D - 5 disc back-up with the freeware DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0. To do so, make sure that the movie disc is a D - 5 (not a D - 9), and rip the D - 5 to the larger hdd in the ISO mode of DVDDecrypter, To do so :

Start up DVDDecrypter, click on MODE, Click, ISO, Click Read, and click the green arrow. In less than 20 or so minutes, the rip should be complete, then close DVDDecrypter, and wait 30 or so seconds.

Then put a blank DVD/r into the burner, wait about 30 seconds or so, then start-up DVDDecrypter and then, on the interface : click MODE, click ISO, click Write, (the supported write speed is then displayed in scrolldown of right side of interface, if you do know there is a power supply problem, then choose the lesser supported speed (such as 1 X instead of 2 X), etc.), then choose the Write speed (speed selector is in bottom right side of interface) , then click that folder symbol (top middle part of interface), click through pop-up to ISO image (not MD), click 'til pop-up disappearsthen then click that green arrow.

If the dvd write is okay, then you do know a method to do the dvd movie back-ups with the computer, "as-is". If it was my 'puter, I would want at least a "bench-marked" 300 watt power supply, even though a "good" 250 watt supply "might" be okay, "for a while".

Do post results, to help the newbies, and some "oldies".
    Last edited by Quality's Proof; 26 Feb 2004, 09:31 PM.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• skavoovie
      • Feb 2004

Well, I figured out the simple solution... Reformat, reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP, and just like magic I can burn DVD's. BTW, it is a 300-watt power supply. Thanks for the reply... looks like I got everything working now.

Comment

Working...