• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMW
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Feb 2004

QUICK DVD/CD Lens Cleaner Problem!!!

I bought a $10 (Cdn) DVD/CD cleaner from Walmart, and my CD drive reads it fine, but my burner wont' read it, therefore not being able to clean it..

Is there a special one I need?
    Athlon 1800, 768 MB SD RAM, 40GB, XP, Lite-On 451S
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

This can be problematic (if you've waited until your burner isn't able to "see" a DVD). You may have to try putting in the cleaning disc multiple times...

(Are you CERTAIN it is BOTH DVD and CD cleaning disc?)

Comment

• EMW
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Feb 2004

Yes, it is a dvd/cd
      It's a Fellowes one from Walmart.

I tried it in my regular DVD-ROM, and in my standalone. I'll keep trying.

-EMW

Comment

• EMW
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Feb 2004

I think there may be problem with my burner reading at all. I have tried to put other discs in there, and it won't recognize them it just comes up "Insert drive into Drive D;, or Drive D not accessible. It is a Lite-On 451S

It still burns fine.

Would a firmware update help this, or does that void warranty if not done properly.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"I think there may be problem with my burner reading at all. I have tried to put other discs in there, and it won't recognize them it just comes up "Insert drive into Drive D;, or Drive D not accessible."

Will it read commercial DVDs? You may have a media compatibility problem.

Comment

• EMW
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Feb 2004

Yes I just tried, it will run Commercial DVD's..But it won't read the dvd cleaner, a Maxell -RW, Attera. It worked using a Verbartim Digital Movie Plus -R, so you're right, it must be the media.

That sucks because so far the Maxell media is the only thing my Regular standalone (Panasonic Rv32) will read.
            My DVD-ROM will read them all. I really wish the Verbatim Media would work in my standalone but the panny won't read it at all. Suppose to be high quality stuff too!

THe lite-on must be fussy...Would a firmware help that?

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

To EMW:

To check the compatibility of your standalone player with different types of media visit:

Comment

• EMW
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Feb 2004

Yeah i went there before, and it doesn't say anything about this particular type of Verbatim Media..It talks about the DataLifePlus type, but not the Digital Movie Media...

Any other suggestions on why my burner is being fussy on reading certain media? I didn't think they were...

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"Any other suggestions on why my burner is being fussy on reading certain media? I didn't think they were..."

In this case, I would check the media compatibility of your particular drive directly with the manufacturer.

"My DVD-ROM will read them all"

Are you absolutely sure? "Different types" also refers to (-, +; R, RW) not just the "Brand" alone.

Comment

• EMW
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Feb 2004

I meant my Regular DVD Drive will read all the -r, -rw's that I have burnt...

Guess I was wrong about the Maxell's too. My standalone will read Maxell -RW, but not Maxell -R. I am going to try some +R, see how that works. It's a good quality dvd player, but maybe it has a hard time reading all -R...I have checked the compatibility with the media, and Maxell should work..Ohwell, ,trial and error..

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"My standalone will read Maxell -RW, but not Maxell -R"

That seems odd. Most Burners that can handle -R, should be able to read/write -RW.

Comment

• EMW
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Feb 2004

Yeah I know, it's odd.

It sucks too because I just bought a 10pack of -R from Walmart, but I only used one, so I will try to take them back and exchanged them for -RW, and I'll pick up 1 +R, and try it...

Comment

• EMW
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Feb 2004

IS there anything different you have to do to burn a +R?? to make it work on a standalone. I thought I read you have to do something..Could be wrong..

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"IS there anything different you have to do to burn a +R?? to make it work on a standalone."

Unless your burner is compatible with (+R) media, I don't think there is anything you can do, unless the manufacturer will come up with a firmware update that will allow you use (+) media.

Comment

• EMW
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Feb 2004

my burner, and my standalong will burn +r,
                              Plus dvdrhelp.com recommends Maxell +R for my panasonic rv32.

Isn't that stupid, players say that they will read -r, +r, etc but it really depends on the media. They should all of a minimum standard that it compatible with every player, so we don't go through this hell and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because really, let's say I find a brand that works GREAT with my RV32, but then in a years time I buy a new player, whose to say it will work with THAT player...frustrating..

Comment

Working...