Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"They should all of a minimum standard that it compatible with every player, so we don't go through this hell and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

Yeah, I agree too, but in the "Real" capitalist world that we live in, it's all about deceiving people (through marketing and advertising) into buying a DVD burner that might be "A Bit Cheaper" in price, but not so robust in features so the manufacturers can sell them and still turn a profit.

Comment

• EMW
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Feb 2004

well, the burner I bought does everything I need..Except read certain brands of media, but I don't care about that..I just wish my standalone would read ALL -r, -rw, +r that I burn...doesn't seem like to much to ask.
      Why should people back up their movies, if they may not work later on due to compatibility issues?? They should have burners that work with the same formats as Commercial DVD's..It would make things a lot simpler..
      Athlon 1800, 768 MB SD RAM, 40GB, XP, Lite-On 451S

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Why should people back up their movies, if they may not work later on due to compatibility issues??"

I think you would need a "Crystal Ball" to answer that one. But in the meantime, if you are satisfied overall with your burner, you will have to wait, or put in a request yourself, for a firmware update from the manufacturer of your drive to be able to read/write on all media as I indicated in my 2nd to last post.

Comment

• EMW
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Feb 2004

thanks for the help ormonde...

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"thanks for the help ormonde..."

Glad to be of help

Comment

• EMW
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Feb 2004

I am not real knowledgeable in this stuff, so maybe this next question is stupid.

Can you make your Standalone player "region Free" so it can read anything?

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"Can you make your Standalone player "region Free" so it can read anything?"

No. You have to purchase a specific player that is "Region Free". However, you can make a "Backup" copy of a commercial DVD that will be region free with the various "Ripping" programs that are available. (DVD Decrypter; DVD Shrink; SmartRipper to name a few)

Comment

• EMW
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Feb 2004

Yeah I back my DVD's up Region Free, but I wasn't sure about the player..Oh well...thanks again!

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"Oh well...thanks again!"

Sure thing

Comment

Working...