Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drapg
    • Mar 2004

External DVD Burner and USB compatability problem

I just bought a CenDyne (NEC ND-1300A) External DVD+-RW with a USB 2.0 connection. Unfortunately, both my laptop and desktop have USB 1.1 ports.

I get a warning message telling me I am plugging in my DVD burner into a USB 1.1 port, but I just ignored it

Anyways, I tried backing up several of my DVDs as tests, and all of them ended up with tons of pixelation, skipping and freezing problems.

At first I thought it was bad media, but then a friend (who bought the same burner) told me it might be due to using a USB 2.0 burner on a 1.1 port.

I perused the forum to see if anyone had addressed this before, but no luck.

Any ideas? Could that be my problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Any ideas? Could that be my problem?"

Of course that's your problem (USB 2.0 vs. 1.1) - unless the drive's documentation specifically states that it's downwardly compatible with USB 1.1.

Purchase a USB 2.0 hardware upgrade for your PC...

Comment

• Malletman
      • Mar 2004

I also have a problem using a new DVD Writer , the Amacom DiViD burner,which is an external device. I have installed a USB 2.0 PCI card for my PC, drivers appear to be loaded OK for this card.
      Device Manager shows correctly the new drive under CD drives, the new USB storage device under 'controllers' and new USB optical device under USB devices.

Using WIN98SE, the PC recognises the new drive, assignes it as the G drive, all appears OK, but put in any DVD, audio CD, Cd-Rom and my PC see'e nothing, stating the new device is not ready. The only thing I can do is eject the drawer from the control panel. My PC spec matches the minimum spec of the writer, and the Writer driver s/w appears to load OK when loaded from another drive on my machine.
      Just can't seem to get the thing to recognise any type of disc. I have tried it on a WIN2000 PC and works fine.
      MY PC spec is:
      Win98SE
      Athlon K7 600Mhz processor
      384Mb ram
      20G free on hard drive

Also note the USB 2.0 PCI card works Ok with my broadband modem, printer or scanner, but not with the new DVD drive.
      Any tips would be VERY welcome.
      Cheers !

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Since you've proved the usb is working and you've tried various media and formats I wonder if it's an ASPI problem. I've not delved into this area but it might be worth searching on this and reading other's posts.
        One other thing though .. does your external drive say Win98 compatible?
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Malletman
          • Mar 2004

Yep, on the box Windows 98 SE, using P1,P2 or Athlon equivilent.
          Can you kindly alloborate any more on ASPI ? Could be worth looking into.

many thanks.

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

erm .. in a word ... not really

ASPI is for need of a better description, an intermediate language layer in the programming. I've never had to delve into this but others have reported having to re-engineer their ASPI drivers etc.

Doing a search on ASPI I can't find anyone with quite the same problem but found a link to a 'force aspi' app at a radified.com.

I really don't know any more about it. Rereading your post I thought the hardware might be questionable but you say it's ok on another PC?

'Force Aspi' might be worth a shot?

Comment

• Malletman
              • Mar 2004

OK, many thanks for your thoughts. I have tried re-loading the OS, removing all other USB devices, but still no go..The PC locks up all the time with it connected. The manufacturer sent me another unit last week, but same result. They are scratching their heads too..

You're right...., this is b****y mountaineering...
              Cheers
              Tim

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

just clutching at straws here but is there something in the PCI settings in BIOS?

Comment

Working...