Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmebonner
    • Mar 2004

NEC ND-1300A probs

Nice forum, hope y;all can help me out here.

Background: Purchased an external 4x2x12 Cendyne piece of garbage. Would not play Nemo, would not even recognize the dvds that compgeeks.com sent free w/ the burner were in the drive. So, I bought some sony dvd+r discs and had a bit of luck, burned two coasters and finally one worked. Well, not anymore I'm soooo sour right now, I've spent the last three nights trying to sort the problem w/ this POJ. Inside the external casing is an NEC ND-1300A.

I've updated the firmware from the original 1.05 it came with to 1.08, no workie at all. showed as a cdrom wouldn't recognize a dvd. Backed up to firmware rev 1.07 a little more luck. Called compgeeks today, told them the prob and he sends me a link to the newest firmware 1.0A. Says the discs they sent were defective (Should have emailed me as soon as they knew!) and they'd send some more. So I go to wally world and buy some more Sonys. Same crap. still won't read nemo, will read xmen but it takes a bit. When I put a blank dvd in, it doesn't recognize it. Doesn't seem to have much of a prob w/ data dvds like my backed up mp3s.

I'm ready to toss this. It's the absolute worst piece of hardware I've ever owned.

Can anyone help or give ideas? I'd be glad to answer any more questions concerning it.

thx!!
  • jmebonner
    • Mar 2004

?? Still waiting folks. Is this thinkg known for this kind of stupidity? I can't get it to recognize anything at all now, I suspect the laser may be bad...

Comment

• joegib
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2001

Well, I've got an ND-1300A and it performs fine but that's in a conventional IDE set-up in a desktop machine. I've seen the odd report of problems with Cendyne enclosures -- see here for instance:

Your basic reading problems suggest this is not a software/media problem. There could be some incompatibility between the enclosure interface and the machine you've hooked it up to. Any chance of testing the unit connected to another machine? If problems are the same you could narrow it down by removing the drive from the enclosure and connecting it to the IDE bus on a desktop machine to see how it performs. Don't know what that'll do to your warranty, though. Anyway, either you'll probably find that the drive's defective or the test points the finger at the enclosure and you'll end up to RMA'ing it.

Comment

• jmebonner
        • Mar 2004

joegib, I'll do that. I have another computer sitting here, but it never occured to me. Probably won't be until Wed or so as we're gone for the weekend. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• superwaddle
          • Aug 2004

Just so you know, I actually found a firmware update that fixed problems that sound identical to yours. Herrie's latest hacked unofficial (1.07*) drivers have turned a completely useless drive into something that recognizes and burns every generic brand i've come across, from Vanguard to Dynex.
          maybe that might help...Herrie apparently included extra support in his. Good luck. btw, I am using a ND-1300a too.

Comment

• jmebonner
            • Mar 2004

Superwaddle,
            Thanks! It's still sitting here as I tried everything and couldn't get it to work, I'll probably get to it next week and test the new bios...we'll be on vac this week. If it works, I'll post back.

Comment

• superwaddle
              • Aug 2004

Hey, just FYI I tested the hacked 1.08 v2 firmware he put out there and it has even wider support. I am burning 4x, with no read/write problems at all. The 107 hacked still left me with some coasters, but this newer firmware is working great. Hope that helps.

Comment

• jmebonner
                • Mar 2004

I haven't had a chance to test it, been working on the house, *blech* but can you link me to that newest firmware? Thanks!!

Comment

• superwaddle
                  • Aug 2004

All the credit goes to Herrie, not me.

Comment

Working...