Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConnorMulligan
    • Apr 2004

Stupid Newb Question

I am completely new to Dvd burning all together and know apsoluely nothing about it. I am going to be burning 250 7 and 1/2 minute dvd's for my brothers organization to go out with a newsletter for various people. I dont even own a dvd burner or have any idea where to buy or what kind of bulk media to get.
    I know this is the question that nobody can really answer but I am just trying to figure out what the best way to go that would work with the most peoples dvd players. I'm told dvd+r works with more dvd players and I am told different brands of dvds may work with more dvd players than others. I was planning on buying the TDK Indi DVD 440n because I was recomended it was cheap and good.
    Anyways, I know that is a broad newb question but any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Connor
  • digidragon
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2003

I'm very happy with my liteon burner, so don't really know what's on the market at the moment.

But DVD-R seems to be slightly more compatible with standalone players than DVD+R. And if you get blanks with a Ritek dye (burning surface) then you shouldn't have any problems. They're not the cheapest you can buy, but you get what you pay for.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"I am going to be burning 250 7 and 1/2 minute dvd's for my brothers organization to go out with a newsletter for various people."

With that many users, you are bound to have MANY instances of, "This DVD won't play on my player!". This will occur based either on format or media brand incompatability (Some may even have players that don't recognize BURNED DVDs at all). The only way to ensure compatability is to have a professional service PRESS the DVDs - in the same manner as COMMERCIAL DVDs are created.

Comment

• ConnorMulligan
        • Apr 2004

Ok I figured this may be the case. I will have to look into that, thank you for the help.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"thank you for the help."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• ConnorMulligan
            • Apr 2004

Another question.
            I spoke to my brother and the organization he works for, as I already assumed, can not afford to go to a professional service for this idea. Thats why he came to his brother lol. I know its impossible to figure for sure, but if I was using dvd-r and a good cd brand would I be losing more than a 1/3 or 1/4th of the peoples dvd players no matter what way you look at it? And what about PC dvd-roms, are they as picky as dvd players?
            Im wondering because its pretty much this or nothing lol.
            Anyways Thanks again.
            Connor

Comment

• digidragon
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2003

Most newer DVD players should have no problems playing a decent quality DVD-R. And nearly every PC DVD-ROM should be able to play them too, and they are less fussy than standalones.

Comment

• lgha
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Mar 2004

You may want to check out this article:

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"I know its impossible to figure for sure, but if I was using dvd-r and a good cd brand would I be losing more than a 1/3 or 1/4th of the peoples dvd players no matter what way you look at it?"

Since you know nothing about your "customer base", there's no way to reasonably speculate about this...

Comment

• Rick1488
                    • Jan 2004

I have to throw my 2cents into this..

I've burnt over 150 DVD's some compressed some not and I frequently borrow my movies out to a lot of people and I haven't had a single complaint of the movie not playing in their standalone player. I have found Phillips DVD+R'S (2X) to be the most compatible format. As for the software I used for about a year DVDShrink and discontinued it's use do to poor quality and random skips. The best solution I found was Elby's CloneDvd 2.0. I recommend you try my setup and you should be just fine. As for the DVD Burner I use a Sony 4x, but I also use a generic $159.00 burner that works great as well. Now with the prices so low I'm sure $159.00 should buy you something nice.

Comment

Working...