Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmortys
    • Apr 2004

copy on the fly

I have been told that using copy on the fly is no good when your reader and writer are on the same IDE cable, is this true.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

It is strongly NOT recommended...

Comment

• ignignot
      • Mar 2004

If you're recording at 4x or less I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem however. The concept is the fact that the IDE bus cannot simeltaneously send write and read data. Essentially this splits the data bandwidth to 1/2 of what an individual read or write rate would be. So if your bus is capable of reading/writing at 16x, you should probably be able to copy on the fly at a max of 8x, but this is probably risky.

I do on-the-fly copies at 2.4x (the max my cheap media will allow) on the same bus, and have yet to encounter a problem. However, I would suggest proceeding with with caution.

Comment

• usmortys
        • Apr 2004

I have 2 ide cables 1 for my hard drive and 1 for dvd rom drive & dvd rw drive. What setup would be best for me?

Comment

• ignignot
          • Mar 2004

I would set DVD-ROM drive as a slave on your primary bus (with the HD), and your recorder as a single drive on your secondary bus.

Comment

• usmortys
            • Apr 2004

will this enable me to copy on fly succesfully?

Comment

• ignignot
              • Mar 2004

It should theoretically decrease your chances of failure, especially if you're copying at higer speeds.

Comment

• usmortys
                • Apr 2004

you say to set dvd rom as slave on same cable as hd, do i set hd as master? and also do i set my dvd-rw as master?

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

Your HD must be Primary Master to boot your Operating System.
                  DVD writers are usually best as masters, hence the suggestion you have it as Secondary Master being fed a separate data cable to your reader.
                  This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ignignot
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by usmortys
                    you say to set dvd rom as slave on same cable as hd, do i set hd as master? and also do i set my dvd-rw as master?
                    This is one of the few things that still requires the use of jumpers nowadays. Look on the back of your drives, and you will see a small (usually black) piece of plastic that goes over some pins. Somewhere on the drive it should show you where to move it to to achieve the appropriate configuration.

Comment

Working...