• Show
Clear All
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

media or burner?

OK, I'm really in a quandary!

NEC 1300a burned my first drum of cheapo white-top (AN-31)DVD-R no problem. So I bought another two 25x drums. About halfway through 1st drum I start getting TMPGEnc DVD Author failing to write block 16.
    My Packard Bell DVD plus and minus RW both seemed to work beautifully. I try firmware updates 1.08, 1.09, 1.0A and at present Herries 1.08. No definite improvement. I do discover however that burns on the AN-31 are more successful from a cold boot and a cold machine!!!
    Settled down to having to resort to this until I use these up and try Ritek but I have a new problem.
    I'm trying to transfer to DVD-R a recorded broadcast from a PB DVD+RW which viewed perfectly on the standalone. DVD Shrink3.0b5 just waits at analysing 0% and DVD Decrypter has now given me at 47%:

I/O Error, Scsi status: 0x02, Interpretation: Check Condition ... Sense Area Interpretation: Logical Block Address out of Range.

I've ignored errors from here and it's currently at 8000 errors! I don't think it's going to be much use yet this deck is the one that burned the media!!!
    Single application running except this IE window. Hardware is 2.5GHz P4, 512MRAM, WinXP.
    Thoughts please?
    Last edited by sfheath; 24 Apr 2004, 08:59 PM.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!
  • lgha
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Mar 2004

sfheath-Strange to see you having a problem, your always the one helping me and the others. We have a very limited PC w/ME running and had the same "cold boot works better" thing until we found out that there was something running in the background that tried to hide, and the anti virus was still turned on. You could give that a try and a couple of other people people mentioned that adding extra cooling helped, but I don't see how that would effect the cold boot problem. My favoriate version is 3.1.2 even thou 3.1.7 is the latest.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"I'm trying to transfer to DVD-R a recorded broadcast from a PB DVD+RW which viewed perfectly on the standalone. DVD Shrink3.0b5 just waits at analysing 0% and DVD Decrypter has now given me at 47%:"

The DVD+R is undoubtedly already stripped of any copy protection. Therefore, simply copy the DVD+R to a folder on your hard drive - and then use NERO to burn as "DVD-Video"...

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Aha! yes, thanks for ideas
        I whipped the side off the PC and the poor little fella was getting a little warm in there!
        I don't use Shrink often but I suppose I really ought to try the later versions
        .. and thanks Setarip, yes, an explorer filecopy is a bit quicker than Decrypter!
        My Nero 5.5 is alas pre-DVD but TMPGEnc DVD Author is still earning it's keep
        Today's stupid mistake however is .. I've mixed up my rewritables so I've lost track of which one was giving the read problem .. ho hum!
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"thanks Setarip, yes, an explorer filecopy is a bit quicker than Decrypter!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...