Software or hardware problem? (DVDDcrypter/DVDShrink/RecordNowDX)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nltnhan
    • Apr 2004

Software or hardware problem? (DVDDcrypter/DVDShrink/RecordNowDX)

Hi,

I'm not sure what causes the problem I'm having. Just got a Pioneer 107D with RecordNow 4.18 (Veritas version). Tried to back up my S.W.A.T DVD (my very first attempt at backing up DVD!) last night using DVDDecrypter3.2.1->DVDShrink3.1.6->RecordNowDX4.18. All good and sound until the last phase, which was the actual burning using RecordNow DX. It failed when the progress was at 86% done. I tried it twice and got the same results. Wasted two (no brand name) 8X -R discs that came with the drive.

My first attempt with burning CD-R/W was very positive, not this time with DVD-R!

I've contacted Sonic (they bought Veritas) for support, and they suggested firmware for the drive. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade the firmware to 1.13 as others have suggested.

Awaiting for new discs ordered on eBay to come so I can try again with different settings(?) Any idea? Please help!

Thanks!
  • nltnhan
    • Apr 2004

Sorry, forgot to include the error from RecordNow. Not sure if it helps, but here it is anyway:

Error -10 at Sector 0 - Command:52 Sense:05 ASC:24 ASCQ:00

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Ok, try this and see if it works.

First get a DVD RW. You can do tests then erase it afterwards

As you have DVD Decrypter, get Shrink 3.1.7.6. This is the lastest and probably last version.

This version of Shrink has the ability to create ISO images of DVD's. DVD Decrypter has the ability to burn them.

Try this steps -

Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD on the hard disc.

Open Shrink and backup to a ISO image onto the hard disc (target device). You will need to have ticked the load DVD Decrypter and burn checkbox at the same time.

Then Shrink will load Decrypter and starts burning after the image has been made.

Other things that can affect how well it works out, is the brand of disc and also don't burn so fast. I never go above 2x/2.4x.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

To nltnhan:

In addition to the method nwg put forth, be sure when using DVD Decrypter that you "Rip" in "File" mode and select "All" the files, NOT just the "Movie Files"

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

Forgot about that bit.

Actually it doesn't really matter as Shrink can now open iso images as well. However, I still recormmend the file method.

Comment

• nltnhan
            • Apr 2004

Thanks to all for your replies!

"Open Shrink and backup to a ISO image onto the hard disc (target device). You will need to have ticked the load DVD Decrypter and burn checkbox at the same time."

How do I do this? I've been running the latest version of Shrink (3.1.7.6b I think). I actually have it open right now, but don't see any option to make an ISO image so that Decrypter can burn. Also, I don't see option to tell Shrink to launch Decrypter after the making of ISO finishes. I must have missed something. Please give instructions. Thanks!

PS: Still waiting for my blank discs to come.

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

Are you using a beta (3.1.7.6b??) If so, download the proper 3.1.7.6 version.

You need to set the compression levels/audio/subs and then click on backup.

The target device will be shown in the select target device combo box. You need to select ISO disc image. The tickbox for Decrypter will then appear underneath. It saids 'Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image'.

Comment

• louv68
                • Feb 2004

I would upgrade the firmware. I had the same problem when starting out and upgrading the firmware fixed it. I use the exact same software you are using. The only difference is the drives we use. Just make sure to flash your drive with the correct firmware or you could render your drive useless.

Comment

• nltnhan
                  • Apr 2004

Thank You all for helping out!!! I was able to back up my S.W.A.T. DVD last night using only Decryptor and Shrink with instructions from nwg and ormonde - it worked great Forget about RecordNow!

Now, I'd like to make a home video from what I have recorded on my Sony digital camcorder DCR-TRV38 (great cam by the way!). The instructions that came with the cam were for burning the video onto a VCD only, not DVD. After burning the VCD (the whole capturing/burning process took more than 3 horus for only about 1 hour long home video), I found out that the quality was worse than the VHS tape. I then tried to use the DVD media, but the software didn't let me write to it. Well, the instructions specifically say "make VCD", but I thought I could at least try to write to a DVD media to hope for a better video quality. But the attempt evidently failed.

Do you guys know of a good (and free ) software that smoothly transfer and convert what's on the cam to a DVD image file (like what Shrink produces!) so I could just burn it to a DVD? Thanks in advance for any leads!

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

To nltnhan:

What "Raw" video format does your Sony digital camcorder DCR-TR produce? Upload one of the videos and check it with "GSpot" if you are not sure.

Comment

• nltnhan
                      • Apr 2004

To ormonde, and all who could help:

I was able to capture the video screens from my cam and export them as MPEG on the hard disk using the Sony Pixela ImageMixer that comes with the cam. From information I gathered from dvdrhelp.com, I think I may need to convert to DVD format (is it MPEG-2?) and then author the files in order to make a DVD movie disk out of them. People who provides comments on that website recommend using the TmpGenC freeware (and the trialware version for $50 for unlimited MPEG-2 conversion) for the conversion and authoring.

I contacted Sonic for help with the RecordNow DX that I paid for, and they told me straight that the software can't do what I wanted it to do, i.e. back up my movie DVD's and make my home movie DVD's. Stupid me that I didn't research before paying for that piece of junk software!

Anyway, any input/recommendation about what I need to do to accomplish the making of my home movie DVD are appreciated. Especially any leads of freeware with high quality as Decrypter and Shrink.

Thanks!

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

Recordnow is just a burning program like Nero. Once you have made the DVD files it should be able to make the DVD.

However, I gave up on it. It doesn't have a proper DVD Video burn setting and so I carried on with Nero as before.

If I don't get on with a program in the first few minutes, i get rid of it.

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

"I was able to capture the video screens from my cam and export them as MPEG on the hard disk "

If the mpeg files are already DVD-compliant, then import them for authoring into "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than the regular TMPGEnc). If however, they are NOT DVD-compliant mpeg 2 files, then use the "Regular" TMPGEnc or TMPGEnc Plus in order to produce mpeg 2 files that DVD Author will accept. Use the DVD template from the "Project Wizard" in TMPGEnc if needed to encode the files.

Comment

• nltnhan
                            • Apr 2004

OK, how do I tell whether or not the MPEG files are DVD-compliant? Using DVD player software like WinDVD to play back the files? And in general, is there a tool that can tell me the format of a file, like MPEG, MPEG 2, DVD MPEG 1/2, etc.?

I'd be looking up for TMPGEnc DVD Author in a minute. It sounds like a payware, is it?

Thanks!

Comment

• ormonde
                              Digital Video Explorer
                              • Dec 2003

"OK, how do I tell whether or not the MPEG files are DVD-compliant?"

If the authoring program that you use will accept them (TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDLab), then they are DVD-compliant.

"It sounds like a payware, is it"

It should still be fully functional for a 30-day trial.

Comment

Working...