X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuneo
    • Jan 2004

Theory's on 4x vs 2x

HI Gang;

Well i've finally come to the conclusion that using better media will help burn at 4x.

As we had a recent post going on a related issue-I bought some Ritek's, and changed my burning pattern away from 2x to 4x.

I had been using 2x for cheaper bulk media to insure burn's-even though my burner would allow 4x for the same bulk media.

Sooooo my after many burn's with the Ritek's at 4x I have yet to produce a "Coaster" (approx 10 backup's).

The choice seems clear to me now.......buy cheaper media, and burn at 2x.... or pay a few more bucks, and have the confidence to burn at 4x.

In this case speed does not kill... it just cost's more.

For those of you that already know this.....disregard

K
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

hey kuneo,

It's good to hear you are succeeeding.

Comment

• bamo
      • Jun 2004

Or buy an NEC2500 great for cheap media.
      Arita 4x burnt @8x,Princo4x burnt @6x,Ultra cheap Datawrite red (V3)4x burnt @6x. this is just a small selection of cheap disc's Ive tried, no coasters.

Comment

• kuneo
        • Jan 2004

Stickin with my TDK 440N for now,and thats what works for me...

Your mileage may vary...

I'm on Cruise Control for now-haven't made a Coaster since can't remember (knock wood).

K

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

What Riteks do you use?

I have started to use Grade A Riteks which are branded Ridisc. I consider these to be the best Riteks, along with Ridata and Traxdata Grade A discs.

They were just £7.99 for 25 (I paid 4 times that just last october).

There is also the Aritia brand. These are Grade B. This is because afaik, they are not manufcatured in a Ritek factory like the Grade A's.

I also still burn at 2x as I dont need to burn faster.

I have burned somwhere around 700 discs, and never had a coaster (except for one but, that was due to the disc being dirty plus that includes RW's).

Comment

• kuneo
            • Jan 2004

700 and no coaster's????? Mon Dieu!

I am using the Ritek G04's

Purchased my first 100 on sale I believe for about $70 U.S., and had to upgrade my burner's firmware to recognize them at first (always a scary procedure).

They work great, but smell like burnt electronic's....wierd no?

Only bad news is-I've got about 200 bulk's leftover that can only go at 2x or else Coasterville.

Happy that the Ritek's burn at 4x with no complication's.........so far hehehe.

Doesn't really bother me whether I burn at 4x or 2x as long as it works right?
            Burning at 4x allow's me to catch up to your 700 faster

K

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

That 700 odd is from last April when Shrink 1.02 came out.

Due to a an excellent misprice on +RW's. I have been using RW's like +R's. They were half price and then when scanned in, came up with buy one get one free. I came out with 100+Rw's and 100+Rs'.

They were made by Prodisc.

They have all burned fine but, have overwritten them a few times when I have been experimenting with compresstion, extras/no extras etc. I then put the final result in a DVD case along with my +R's.

Another trick with Bulkpaqs is to reduce the overall filesize by 200-300MB. This stops the laser getting to the edge of the disc and stop freezing problems which can appear when playing it back.

Comment

• The Maynard
                • Jan 2003

I use Ritek discs with my NEC 2500a and have not yet burned one bad disc. I've burned about 30 discs so far using Shrink and DVDDecryptor and IFOEdit and I've made nothing but great copies. My media will only burn as high as 4.1x though. Can't seem to get it any faster.

Comment

• bamo
                  • Jun 2004

The Maynard
                  What firmware are you using?

Comment

• The Maynard
                    • Jan 2003

My firmware version is 1.06. I try to set the burn speed at 8x in Decrypter and it won't burn any faster that 4.1. Not that it's a problem but it would be nice to be a little faster because it does take about 10-11 minutes to burn a disc.

Comment

• bamo
                      • Jun 2004

1.06 is stock firmware.If you use Herrie's hacked firmware it allows faster burns on most disc's and booktype settings.
                      10-11 minutes is actually 6x.

Comment

• The Maynard
                        • Jan 2003

That depends on the size of the files being burned though. I'd say on a completly full disc it takes about 14 minutes. Do you have a link to this hacked firmware and is it stable and safe installing it?

Comment

• bamo
                          • Jun 2004

PM me with you Email address I will send it.
                          There is always a risk with updating firmware. Ive done my NEC 2500 about 10 times now testing various beta firmware no problems.
                          Before flashing make sure there's no disc in the drive, shut everything down,nothing running in tray etc.
                          Then just double click the file its a windows based flash.
                          This firmware is brilliant for burning 6x and 8x on cheap disc's.Not to hot with DVD-RW
                          Download dvdinfopro and change the book type of DVD+r to dvdrom.
                          Enjoy.

Comment

• The Maynard
                            • Jan 2003

Thanks for the firmware Bamo! I can now write at 8.3x on 4x Ritec g04 media with no glitches at all and it can also read the DVD's faster too. It reads it at 8x which before it was averaging 3x. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

• morphix
                              • Mar 2004

im sorry 2 say but y dont u go out and get a DVD DL (DVD-9) burner they r great come on 8.5g @ 2x is good enough DVD-5 burners suck (but if u can only afford that then thats good enough) with the DVD DL burners u can back up any dvd media and hav so much comp bakup space (but i dont think heaps of countrsys hav the DVD Dl burners released) im in aus there out in here!

Comment

Working...