X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dikkilead
    • Jul 2004

DVD burner Blues

Helllllp....

I am a new member in search of a solution to a verrry frustrating problem.

I have a home recording studio with loads of BIG audio files that need backing up - so DVD seemed like the obvious answer....

I am using my freecom dvd+/-rw8j1 to back them up, and when using -R DVDs there is ALWAYS one file on the disk that has a read error - not so good as master backup. When I use +R disks, no problem, however....

When I use my DVD to backup a film, DVD-R is very hit an miss (about 1 in 5 success). When I use DVD+R disks the success rate is 100%, but my Wharfdale M5 player will not read the disks - my PS2 works every time, as does my laptop. Note that my Wharfdale has never had any problems with DVDs from my friends burner.

Should I bin my DVD burner and start again??

I have tried many different brands of media - all the same - I don't have much hair left to pull out....
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Simply continue to use (+R) type of media if you claim you are having success with it. Is it absolutely necessary that you use the "Wharfdale M5 player"? Most likely, it is not compatible with (-R) media.

Comment

• dikkilead
      • Jul 2004

Hmmm....

I thought of that, the price of a new DVD player is a lot cheaper than a new burner, however....

I have passed a copied movie on +R to a mate who has a different DVD player, and he has the same problems (it will not play).

The 'blurb' on my M5, and my mates Matsui indicate that it should play the +R DVDs - the weak link seems to be with burner - buying a new DVD player may still experience the same problem (The PS2 is in the kids room - so I need player in my living room).

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• de Witte
        DVD & Pink Floyd Fan
        • Jul 2004

If you burn the DVD's the right way and use a DVD player wich really supports DVD-R/RW+R/RW you're always on the right side. I have a SONY DVP-NS330.
        Klaas

P4 2.4GHz FSB533, 256MB mem, HD 80Gb ,RICOH MP5240 (DVD+),Win98se

Comment

• dikkilead
          • Jul 2004

The DVD burner I have (Freecom dvd+/-rw8j1) is supposed to be DVD +RW/-RW!

Am I right in thinking that the burner appears to be a bit dodgy???

Especially when I always have currupt data files when writing to -R disks?

Comment

Working...