Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demijan
    • Aug 2004

Frustrated with AVI(DivX) to DVD-R

I always used to make VCDs by converting the AVI to VCD format with WinAVI and then burning it in Nero simply with the "VideoCD" option. Now I bought an external DVD R/RW drive, and I am trying everything I can to burn a DivX avi to a DVD-R and watch it on my dvd-player.

Can someone please explain to me what I have to do. I am having very little success with "TMPGEnc". Can someone explain to me please step to step what to do, perhaps a guide that has images for each step and thorough explanations? I am very confused about all of this.

Some tell me I have to convert audio and video seperately, others say I have to "author" them after converting whatever that means, and others say software like WinAVI or Cucusoft won't help me at all. Now.. WinAVI, which i used to convert to VCD, also has a convert to DVD option. I have tried this and it converts the file into at .VOB file and also creates some .bup and .ifo files. What do I do from there??

Please help me. I appreciate it very much.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"What do I do from there??"

Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Comment

• Demijan
      • Aug 2004

Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)
      I don't get it. The files that WinAVI made are .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB. TMPGEnc DVD Author only lets me put in MPEG 1 and MPEG 2.

i have no idea what is going on here

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"TMPGEnc DVD Author only lets me put in MPEG 1 and MPEG 2."

That is not correct - Perhaps you are confusing "TMPGEnc DVD Author with another "TMPGEnc" program (There are several)

Comment

• Demijan
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by setarip
          "TMPGEnc DVD Author only lets me put in MPEG 1 and MPEG 2."

That is not correct - Perhaps you are confusing "TMPGEnc DVD Author with another "TMPGEnc" program (There are several)
          Thanks for your response.

Ok i have "TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6" Trial Version. Maybe it's because its a trial? im not sure

But I will be very specific now:

I took a DivX avi and converted it with WinAVI. It created the following files on my computer:

Video_ts.bup
          Video_ts.ifo
          Vts_01_0.bup
          Vts_01_0.ifo
          Vts_01_1.vob
          Vts_01_2.vob
          Vts_01_3.vob

What is the next step? What do I do so I can "merge" them or whatever you want to call it to burn them on a DVD-R?

Also, regarding the chapter/menu thing, I would love to do that. Isn't that a completely separate issue thats also more complicated? Where do the files that are created through the menu thing go? Do they get mixed in with the files I listed above and then are 'merged' later before being burned on a dvdr? its so confusing

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"What is the next step? What do I do so I can "merge" them or whatever you want to call it to burn them on a DVD-R?"

When you "Create New Project" in DVD Author, simply "Add DVD Video" NOT "Add File" and navigate to where you saved the VIDEO_TS folder.

Comment

• Demijan
              • Aug 2004

But the avi is already "converted" to DVD through WinAVI. I have the following files:

Video_ts.bup
              Video_ts.ifo
              Vts_01_0.bup
              Vts_01_0.ifo
              Vts_01_1.vob
              Vts_01_2.vob
              Vts_01_3.vob

What do I need to 'author' them for? That is what I am confused about. Isn't authoring the same as converting the file to DVD?? This is what I don't understand. That + creating menu's and chapters. Right now I am trying to burn those files above all-together in NERO using the DVD-Video option. It's at 88% right now, I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"What do I need to 'author' them for?"

A quote from your 2nd to last post: "Also, regarding the chapter/menu thing, I would love to do that."

I was under the impression that you were seeking to create menus and or chapters points. If that were the case, then using TMPGEnc DVD Author would be the ideal solution for this. By using the "Add DVD Video" function in DVD Author, you will be able to achieve this. The program will author a "New" set of (IFO, BUP, VOB) files that will contain a menu structure. As far as burning the existing DVD related files that you already have, you are on the right track by using “DVD Video” mode in Nero.

Comment

• Demijan
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ormonde
                  "What do I need to 'author' them for?"

A quote from your 2nd to last post: "Also, regarding the chapter/menu thing, I would love to do that."

I was under the impression that you were seeking to create menus and or chapters points. If that were the case, then using TMPGEnc DVD Author would be the ideal solution for this. By using the "Add DVD Video" function in DVD Author, you will be able to achieve this. The program will author a "New" set of (IFO, BUP, VOB) files that will contain a menu structure. As far as burning the existing DVD related files that you already have, you are on the right track by using “DVD Video” mode in Nero.
                  Hey its working!!!! I burned the that set of files with Nero "DVD Video" mode, putting them all in the Video ts folder and burning the compliation.

So 'authoring' simply means creating a menu with chapters to select? Heres what I want to do: I have 3 small videos. If I were to transfer them all to dvd format and have that bunch of files, how would I make a menu where I can choose to play any of those 3?

Comment

• Demijan
                    • Aug 2004

Everything is working fine now, even TMPG with the menu. It did display some 'bitrate' errors but I hit 'ignore' and everything worked out fine. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"Thank you all for your help."

Glad (We) could be of help, and that everything worked out.

Comment

Working...