X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nhojnhoj
    • Jan 2004

nero vision express 2 - not responding

hello all.
    i tried to convert an .avi file to make it dvd burnable using nero vision express 2. i downloaded the latest version of this from the nero website yesterday.

it started by saying that the finished file would be 3.5G in size and then started to chug away.

the initial completion time showing was about 3hours but this quickly came down to 1hr 33 minutes.
    I went away and came back 50 minutes later to find that the process time and the time to completion hadn`t moved yet the total time taken clock for the project was still ticking.

TaskManager told me the program was running although the CPU usage for Nero showed no activity by the program.
    I waited another hour and nothing changed so I aborted the process. I then got the dreaded `not responding` message and did a forced shutdown of the process.

I restarted the whole thing and went to bed. I came downstairs the following morning (7hrs later) to find the same thing happened. The remaining time was stuck at 1hr 35minutes.
    I tried to abort and got `not responding` again and so again I shut it from task manager. Then i switched off my pc and it stuck in `shutting down` mode. I had to forcibly switch it off.

As I installed the Nero updates yesterday I`m wondering if there is a fault with the new version of vision express or is the program just as bad as everybody says it is.

help appreciated please. thank you
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

What other processes do you have running in the background? Authoring can be CPU intensive. You may have to shut down any non-critical programs from task manager before continuing the authoring process.

Comment

• nhojnhoj
      • Jan 2004

hi ormonde.
      i had nothing running at all.
      the processing figures in task manager showed 97% system idle which suggests the program was not responding but it was listed in applications as `running`. it only reported `not responding` when i tried to abort.

incidentally, the preview panel was not running. it just had the `nero` sign. am i right to think it should have been playing the file as it was being processed?

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

You don't by any chance have any "Roxio" products installed on your machine do you? There have been known conflicts with having both Nero and Roxio software residing on the same computer. Also, try completely uninstalling then reinstalling Nero Vision Express.

Comment

• nhojnhoj
          • Jan 2004

no roxio installed either.
          i`m going to try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps

Comment

• Billy_Black
            • Mar 2004

Get GSpot and run your AVI through it, it should tell you if it is alright and your system can handle it.

I also recently installed this, it fixed some problems I was having (I also uninstalled my Dvix codec).

FFDSHOW is a super-fast DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies and supports subtitles as well. If you ever want to watch movies, get this!

Comment

• nhojnhoj
              • Jan 2004

thx for responses.
              i uninstalled nero and cleaned using the nero downloadable cleaning tools then reinstalled but still get the same problem.

so then i ran the avi through eo video and broke it in to small segments.

this time nero processed it ok but when i viewed the video_ts file that it had created there was sound but no picture.

so...then i tried to process a different avi file through nero and that worked no problem.

solution?? it looks like the avi file in question is corrupted in some way, even though it plays OK on my pc.

i think i will try the gspot d/l out of curiosity. as ever, i refuse to be beaten by a machine.

thx again to those who took the time to try and help

Comment

• fransk
                • Sep 2004

Yesterday I had similar problems creating a 2.2 GB (estimated) video and saving it in in Nero's own mp4 format.
                Nero Vision Express crashed always at writing the output and left a 2GB video.

I split up the project so that the ouptut was written to 2 files of about 1.1 GB (less then 2 GB).

Seems that Nero Vison Express has the same 2GB-limit problem that has been solved in AVI files already for some time. Sloppy! Nero should give a normal error message when such a problem occurs.

Comment

Working...