X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alodoiska
    • Aug 2004

Disposable DVD medium

Hello everybody,

Sony recently introduced a Blu Ray discs using a paper based sustrat.

Are their any similar medium for DVDs.

Thanks,

Antony
  • Floppy

It is intended to be a next generation rival to the current format.

This will be (is) something of the HD-DVD format.

Sony plans to install PS3 with a BD drive to encourage the consuption of this new Format.

There is a BD-ROM 1.0 specification already running.

All though my guess of the standard storage amount by the final release date, is as good as yours.

The new systems will (do) support single-side, dual-layer Blu-Ray rewriteable discs with a total capacity of 50GB. Current Blu-Ray rewriteable discs provide 23GB of storage on a single layer.

A japanese company in conjuction with another company developed mixed plastic and paper to create a cheap 1.1mm opaque disc substrate. On top of that sits the recording layer then a 0.1mm-thick transparent protective cover. Overall, some 51 per cent of the disc is paper.

The motivation to develop a paper-based disc was fourfold: first, to make discs cheaper to produce, but also to allow higher quality printing on the label side. if there was a security need of destroying the data on the disk you could just cut it.

Does that answer your question?

Disposable? Only if you wanted to be.
    Last edited by Guest; 15 Aug 2004, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• alodoiska
      • Aug 2004

Are there any similar medium for DVD? The idea is a 'use only once' solution for movie renting, this is were the "disposable thing" gets in.

Blu Ray is still limited to some category of users and DVD players are more common right now.

Antony

Comment

• Floppy

Disposable or single use Media of the DVD kind, is not currently marketed as such, but if the price is low enough this can be up to each company or individual to decide.

Your questions, however about a single use DVD media for the film industry, seem to me a little useless, from the point of view that you can get such a silly amount of viewings from a single DVD that is made for the rental purposes, what would be really the ultimate goal of this?

If you are thinking of cheaper movies than you should be thinking of a different question.

But I think that the answer is NO. There is no DVD equivalent with the paper sustract (that I know of).

Read more about Blu Ray (BD) here:

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a new optical disc format that offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs. The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD).

Blu-ray Media, specifications and release dates for new and upcoming Blu-ray Media, including Blu-ray Media reviews and much more.

You may find however that this may be so in the near future with the introduction of DL DVD. This uses the same blue laser as BLU RAY optical technology.

Does that answer your question?
        Last edited by Guest; 15 Aug 2004, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

This is old news (2000), but read on.

"A new holographic data storage system (HDS), based on photosensitive plastic material developed by Bayer AG in Germany.

Applying the holography principle in computer technology has long been desired by researchers. Bayer's new holographic data storage system has a capacity of more than one thousand gigabytes of information, in comparison to ten gigabytes of a conventional hard disc. Until now the missing element to make this possible was a suitable data carrier, a high-sensitive material that would make such a high storage density possible. It has now been found and is in development.

A carrier that would be photoaddressable polymers (PAP), light-sensitive plastics able to store a high density of optical information quickly and lastingly using visible laser light. Holographic data storage (HDS) media will transform the PC market."

Prototypes already in the final research and perhaps final development stages, I wouldn't be surprised to find this is what led to the development of the BD technology in the first place. A sort of marketing swoop to keep the industry ticking over and the user hoocked on to the greener grass on the pastures yet to come.
          Last edited by Guest; 15 Aug 2004, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• alodoiska
            • Aug 2004

This does answer my question

Thank you also for this tips on marketing strategies and on optical storage in particular!

Antony

Comment

• Floppy

It was my pleasure Antony.

Comment

Working...