DVD shrink --not enough space error message?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcdddy1
    • May 2004

DVD shrink --not enough space error message?

I am trying back up a disk that is 4.5gigs using DVD shrink. I am using a blank 4.7 gig single layer DVD-R to burn to. Why then does DVD shrink tell me that there is not enough space? There is enough space. This is very frustrating and annoying as I keep running into this problem.
    Thanks
    David
  • johne88
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jul 2004

it is telling you there is not enough on your HD..do you have enough space on your HD too back up the DVD??..if you keep geeting the message you might want too compress your download a little more...good luck

Comment

• mcdddy1
      • May 2004

I have plenty of room on my HD over 100gigs. DVD shrink is refering to the space available to write to the blank DVD-R. I am trying to back up the 4.5gig disk uncompressed.

Comment

• johne88
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Jul 2004

just try using the compression...leave it on automatic...let it compress and try it that way...I use auto and my backups always turn out well...

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

It is misleading. A DVD-R cannot hold 4.7GB of data. It can only hold 4.37GB. I use 4.34GB. This is because it holds 4.7 billion bytes (which is the 4.37GB).

Comment

• johne88
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jul 2004

nwg...you are soo right!!!

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

It's just a marketing/selling thing to make it look bigger than it actually is.

Hard disks are done the same way. You buy a 80GB (or rather 80 billion bytes), but after formatting it is just over 75GB. The same thing applies to DVD R's/RW's.

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Sep 2003

Id try shrinking it to a little smaller. Some discs tend to have problems near the outter edge of the disc. This might be one problem trying to fit to much onto the disc.
                What version of Shrink you using?

Comment

• mcdddy1
                  • May 2004

Im using DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15. I really don't want to compress my backup copy. I was wondering if there is a setting in nero that you could change so it would burn closer to the edge or something. The disk is labeled 4.7GB data- doesn't this mean you should be able to record 4.7gigabytes? even if there is some error or wiggle factor in the disks - the disk im trying to backup is only like 4.5 gigs- that's like 200mb difference and should more than be accomodated by any variation from disk to disk in labeled 4.7GB storage capacity.

Cheers

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

The disk is labeled 4.7GB data- doesn't this mean you should be able to record 4.7gigabytes?
                    Read my first post above.

Comment

• mcdddy1
                      • May 2004

I did read your post nwg but considering the label on my DVD-R seemed to contradict what you said namely that DVD-R cannot hold 4.7GB data which is exactly what is printed on the disk I was a little confused. I understand the whole 4.7 million bytes thing which would translate into 4.37GB data but the labeling is totally contradictory.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"I understand the whole 4.7 million bytes thing which would translate into 4.37GB data but the labeling is totally contradictory."

"Misleading" (and it's intentionally so) would be a more accurate description. Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that a burnable DVD will only hold up to 4.37Gb...

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

mcdddy1

If you would like to read a full description regarding DVD recordable media, visit the following link:

DVD stands for Digital Versatile/Video Disc, DVDR stands for DVD Recordable and DVDRW for DVD ReWriteable.

Comment

Working...