Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcdddy1
    • May 2004

Dual layer media capacities

From what I understand commercial movie DVD's are stamped not burned. I was Wondering if recordable DL disk storage capacities differ from commercial DVD movies.
    Thanks
  • Floppy

DVD9 stores up to 8.5GB as far as I know and as far as I know DL DVD will store 8.5GB of Data/Video. Some commercialDVD's store up to 12GB, But then again they have and use different technology and DVD formats that are backward compatible with all DVD players.

There are other formats upcoming like BD, HDS. But all will have to wait.

Comment

• jbelder37
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Fil
      DVD9 stores up to 8.5GB as far as I know and as far as I know DL DVD will store 8.5GB of Data/Video. Some commercialDVD's store up to 12GB, But then again they have and use different technology and DVD formats that are backward compatible with all DVD players.

There are other formats upcoming like BD, HDS. But all will have to wait.
      Actually 7.96 GB I have a Pioneer DVR-108 Dual Layer and burned the scorpion king on a ritek dual layer and it plays fine on every stand alone I've tried it on. And yes commercial dvds are pressed with a glass mold.I don't think you are going to find many 12GB dvd's and I think the dvd format is about the same it is a standard.
      Last edited by jbelder37; 3 Sep 2004, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Floppy

Thanks for that heads up.

I always seem to forget the discrepancy between the KB/MB/GB read out.

Comment

Working...