What's best file format to burn - ISO or Video_TS files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdaddy50
    • Aug 2004

What's best file format to burn - ISO or Video_TS files?

Hello.

All I want to do is copy DVD's to watch on my TV. I have copied several so far but am using different procedures as I learn more (i.e. become more confused) - I am currently using DVD Shrink and then burn using CloneDVD2. Prior to using Shrink DVD, I noticed Mosaic's on one of my copied DVD's - about 3/4 of the way through. Funny thing was that after I took it out & started over, it did again but not in the same spot - it occurred 2-3 minutes later in the movie. Same thing 2 or 3 tries later (I initially thought I had put fingerprints on the disk).

Advice ranges from trying different Media (OptoRite suggests Taiyo Yuden or Sony), using a slower burning speed, and possibly firmware update. I just used Shrink DVD for the first time (ISO), kept the same speed (maximum!), and kept the same media (verbatim -R) - I am not sure if the problem is completely solved or not but I have not seen the mosiac yet...

Question 1:
    Is it better to shrink the DVD as an ISO file or the Video_TS file(s) format? Shrink DVD doesn't seem to give me the options to pick & choose unless reauthoring. I am thinking the image file is the best quality?

Question 2:
    See anything obvously wrong in procedure?

Thanks - any advice will be appreciated!

System: Windows XP Professional
    Computer: Intel Pentium 4, 2.59 GHz, 1 GB of Ram
    DVD Burner: OptoRite DD0203
    Media: Verbatim -R
    DVD Player: Hitachi Progressive Scan (6 mos. old)
    DVD Burning Software: DVD Shrink 3.1 & CloneDVD2
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"Is it better to shrink the DVD as an ISO file or the Video_TS file(s) format?"

Both procedures should give you the same result.

Comment

• Floppy

I would say that the Video_ts just because of compatibility issues with standalone DVD players.

Comment

• bigdaddy50
        • Aug 2004

Thanks Fil ( & Ormonde),

I will try that method exclusively the next couple of burns & see how it goes. Thanks very much for your help. I really enjoy burning DVD's - it's been quite a bit of fun! Still a lot to learn, though, but I will keep coming to this site as it is a treasure-trove of information. Thanks again.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"Thanks Fil ( & Ormonde)"

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

• Floppy

A pleasure to be of help.

How good is information, if it is not shared?

We all like to share at Digital-Digest.

I think?
            Last edited by Guest; 23 Aug 2004, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• aut0psy
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fil
              I would say that the Video_ts just because of compatibility issues with standalone DVD players.
              Huh? Both look the same once they are burned onto the DVD .

Comment

• Floppy

I say Video_Ts because this is the file format that any film will be in (the ones I have come across and that has been all).

Now about the Iso 9660 format this has been used for many years now but Universal Disk Format (UDF) is a newer file system for CD and DVD developed and managed by the Optical Storage Technology Association as the successor to the ISO 9660 standard. UDF overcomes limitations of ISO 9660 and redirectors such as CDFS. UDF is used to ensure compatibility across platforms, as well as among various CD and DVD applications. UDF is required for DVDs, and is used by DVD to contain MPEG audio/video streams, UDF is also used by CD-R and CD-RW in a process called packet writing that makes CD writing more efficient in terms of the time and disk space required.

The .pdf above contains more in-depth information about Video compatibility formats as well as a ealth of any related info.

When I explore a DVD I have files in a video_ts.bup and video_ts.ifo format, I have never come across a .iso video file format.

On a similar subject if a DVD video is created using Nerovision Express 2 once the program as coverted the files and burnt these files onto a DVD5 (4.7gb) the format of the files will be ?(would you like to try this please aut0psy).......

No disrespect but, no, they are not the same.

As ALI-G would say "Restecpa" Boiacasha

If like you say:

Huh? Both look the same once they are burned onto the DVD

Then forgive me but I have never,ever,ever seen it as such.
                Last edited by Guest; 26 Aug 2004, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• aut0psy
                  • Aug 2004

__________________________________________________ __

Huh? Both look the same once they are burned onto the DVD
                  __________________________________________________ __

Then forgive me but I ahve never,ever,ever seen it as such.
                  ISO is just an image format, when this image is burned onto youre DVD, its is "extracted" so to speak into it's natural form as would be the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders etc...

Comment

• Floppy

It is in my opinion not the same.

Show me the money.

Look here again no mention of .iso

If I'm wrong, I'm not alone.
                    Last edited by Guest; 26 Aug 2004, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"It is in my opinion not the same."

Technically they are not the same, but the "VIDEO_TS" and "ISO" when burned to a DVD (r, rw) disk should yield the same "Result" as far as playback of the DVD is concerned.

Comment

• Floppy

Thank you ormonde

I think hozing the deck with testosterone, is bang out of order!

So for that I apologise if an apology is due.

But I think this extra info serves better the purpose of helping others.

Which invariably it's what all of us do in the Digital-Digest Forums.

As always my moto is:

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

"Thank you ormonde"

As always, glad to be of help.

Comment

• driver8
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Fil
                            [B]I say Video_Ts because this is the file format that any film will be in (the ones I have come across and that has been all).

When I explore a DVD I have files in a video_ts.bup and video_ts.ifo format, I have never come across a .iso video file format.

No disrespect but, no, they are not the same.
                            Wow, you are complety wrong. the video ts is the file structure and the iso is the image created.

so you dont mean: "When I explore a DVD I have files in a video_ts.bup and video_ts.ifo format, I have never come across a .iso video file format."

You mean: When I explore a DVD I have files in a video_ts.bup and video_ts.ifo format, It has always been in .iso format.

every single dvd movie you have for stand alone players, whether you authored it or bought it, MUST be an iso which includes a video ts file.

To the original question, the general concensus over at videohelp is that you save a step by having shrink go right to an iso.

but if you are getting artifacts, especially at the end of the dvd you probably have bad media, or at the very least this is most likly not shrink but a hardware problem starting with the media, perhaps the burner and less likley the firmware.

here is what you do, burn to iso, and mount it with either daemon or nero as a virtualdrive. you can then play it with any pc based playing software (many aloow you to play 64x or 100x spped, you should see if you have any shrink caused problems (extraordinarily unlikely). another thing to do is run verify on nero, this should eliminate the possiblity of burner or hardware.

again the problems at the end almost always point to media

Comment

• Floppy

This is just silly now.

All I mean to say is that the file structure on a dvd has .ifo/.bup extensions and not .iso file extension.

I have backed up a DVD normaly with DVD Shrink 3.2 and it creates a audio_ts/video_ts folders with the files with the variant files in size inside the video_ts folder having the extensions .ifo/.bup.

Ever since this discussion has arisen I Used DVD shrink to create a .iso file of the same DVD.

This file as a [b]clear[/] extension of .iso.

It seems to me just by observation that there are great differences between the two formats.

Even if they produce similar results.

I have no problems of any kind with playback/burning and encoding/ripping or even media compatibilities with my drive or standalone player.

It seems this is all I have to say.

Comment

Working...