Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kramer32
    • Aug 2004

Error problem!

Hey, I am new at copying discs so i am having a few problems probably just stupidity but i have no idea how to fix this error i keep recieving. When I click open disc, the cd analyzes perfectly but under back any option i choose i get this error in the middle of encoding or at the end...

dvd shrink encountered a error and cannot continue
    programmign error- exception occured
    the handle is invalid

if someone could help me, i would greatly appreciate that

thanks in advance
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Is it just this DVD you are having problem with? What movie is it?

Comment

• kramer32
      • Aug 2004

Cynthia, I tried it with the scarface 25th anniversary disc at first but all my discs keep recieving that error...

Comment

• Floppy

I presume you are using the latest version of DVD shrink (3.2).

If so did you update from a previous version without uninstalling DVD shrink first?

If your using previous versions of DVD shrink try (Under preferences) not to choose burn with Nero option (make sure box is not ticked). This is a bug under previous versions to 3.2.

Let us know?

Comment

• luber
          • Aug 2004

I had a similar problem, installing the Patin-Couffin layer and dvd43 solved it
          Patin-Couffin access layer is required device I/O interface for various application, such as DVD43.

Comment

• Floppy

whooa luber. Lay it down for me.

If Patin-Couffin is simply a small driver layer that some apps use in order operate right?

And DVD43 is a small tool that integrates into Windows and overrides copy-protection mechanisms found on DVDs (CSS) and DVD region limitations. Integrates with XPRESS, DVD2One, etc, is it not?

If that works, hell!

Point me the way to the fountain of youth.

Actually I have instead taken a copyright in getting old.

I mean to say. What? When? How?
            Last edited by Guest; 27 Aug 2004, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• luber
              • Aug 2004

Yeah, P-C is like ASPI, only different, and they coexist comfortably, so you can still use Nero, etc. Download it at the Afterdawn link I gave above, or http://www.vso-software.fr.

DVD43 is a tray utilitly that makes (almost) any DVD look unprotected to the accessing program, overcoming certain encryption/key problems in ways I don't understand. It'll delay startup a second if you have a disc in the drive, if that bothers you, delete the Run registry key from HKLM\SW\MS\Windows and then start it manually before you run DVDShrink.

There is a version of DVD 43 around that works without P-C, but they want money for it, so why not just get them both for free. The original is at http://dvd43.com

Comment

• Floppy

Re: Error problem!

Originally posted by kramer32
                Hey, I am new at copying discs so i am having a few problems probably just stupidity but i have no idea how to fix this error i keep recieving. When I click open disc, the cd analyzes perfectly but under back any option i choose i get this error in the middle of encoding or at the end...

dvd shrink encountered a error and cannot continue
                programmign error- exception occured
                the handle is invalid

if someone could help me, i would greatly appreciate that

thanks in advance
                This described here luber is the simptoms of the bug affecting versions 3.1 of the DVD Shrink since the option burn with Nero ( Find this option under preferences) was added to the program. This bug has been fixed on version 3.2

For better peace of mind I recommend a full uninstall of any previous version of Nero B4 upgrading to 3.2

Nonetheless the problem here described can be resolved by unchecking this option. (It worked for me)

Take a look here for solutions to bugs and error messages in DVD Shrink.

I dont see a need to install redunctant software in order to resolve such a simple problem. (no offense)

Posted by: ddlooping
                Some of the most common problems can be fixed by:
                a) Trying a different DirectX video renderer.
                "Edit >> Preferences >> Preview".
                b) Disabling video and audio preview.
                "Edit >> Preferences >> Preview >> Enable video and audio preview".
                c) Unchecking "Edit >> Preferences >> FIle I/O>> Enable burning with Nero".

Comment

• luber
                  • Aug 2004

I'm running the latest version of DVD Shrink with Nero and this is not my problem; as I said I had a similar problem, namely an error near the end of encoding, the error message was similar, not identical, but I don't remember exactly what it said. DVD43 cleared it up.

So maybe my reply was incorrect - the right answer to the wrong problem, but it helped me and was super-easy, so I thought I'd share it. If anyone requests me to I will attempt to recreate the error and then post the exact error message if that's helpful, however in my experience error popup messages don't always tell you exactly what the problem is.

It's a tiny free tray applet, does no harm and uses almost no CPU, and like I said if you don't want to run it all the time just delete the registry key and start it manually as needed.

My previous workaround was to rip an image first with DVD Decrypter, and use that as an input to DVD Shrink. However I have found a (very) few DVDs that even gave good old Decrypter problems, I used to use VStrip then, it always works; but DVD43 has eliminated those problems.

This applies to the original item at DVD43.com. However, the trialware version being re-marketed by others contains some nagware that is hard to remove, it's best avoided.

Comment

• Floppy

ok.

I would like to ask you luber if you had installed the latest version of DVD Shrink 3.2 when you experienced this problem?

Because only previous versions of this immensly great piece of software seemed to suffer and only when the option of burning with nero was selected.

If in the meanwhile you got the latest version of DVD Shrink 3.2 and installed the DVD43 and your P-C and soon found this problem gone, then can you see where I'm going with this?

Peace bro.

Everyone here helps no quibles about that.

Thanks for the tips on DVD43 though.

Comment

• jlisowski
                      • Oct 2004

I am also receiving that error with the Scarface two-disc anniversary edition. I have tried getting the DVD43, and the patin=couffin. Neither one of these things made it work. Unless there is something special I have to do with those 2 things that i haven't. Can anyone help me?

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To kramer32 & jlisowski

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO"

Comment

• jlisowski
                          • Oct 2004

I got it ripped to my hard drive, then when i try to backup the files it gives me another error saying:
                          DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue
                          Programming error - exception occured
                          The handle is invalid

what else could i try?

Comment

• jimmyd
                            • Oct 2004

I got the error with scarface as well, although I was successful in reauthoring the disc and just copying the main title over.

Comment

• riceroni
                              • Sep 2004

I don't know if anyone else have seen this, but I get this error message after DVD Shrink tries to encode the files. You can see something that looks like a cartoon man jogging or something, he like have on a yellow tanktop and shorts. I know it sounds weird but it's true. Am I the only who have seen him? After you see him then the error message comes up saying "Programming Error - Exception Occurred". I rip the files with DVD Decrypter then analyse and encode with DVD Shrink. Everything is fine until it tries to encode. What the heck is going on, if anyone can tell me how to get passed this.

Comment

Working...