Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keithgate
    • Aug 2004

Power Calib. Error

I have read most, but not all, posts about the Power Calibration Error. My dilemma is this...I have burned fine with an Optorite DD0405 with 105 Firmware. I had upgraded to the 160 firmware for that drive and the encoding process zooms much faster than with the 105 version. However, the problem comes in the burning phase with Power Calib. Error if I stick with the 160 firmware. I am using Ridata 4x DVD-R's and have made flawless backups with the 105 firmware...the problem is the speed is soo slow with that one. Also, with the 106 firmware, the discs are read at 2x max rather than the 4x. I am new to backup of DVDs and was told and read from most that the Ridata were good, reliable discs...does it sound like they are still the problem? Also, I just bought another 50-pack of the same discs...since the encoding is much faster with 106 does it hurt a drive if I do the encoding of several discs then downgrade the firmware back to 105 to burn them...and then back to 106 for the next discs I want to encode?
    Last edited by keithgate; 31 Aug 2004, 06:22 AM.
  • Floppy

Hi keithgate

Just out of curiosity where did you get this firmware from?

To find out more about power calibration errors go here:

Nero Platinum - 7 programmes en une suite ! ✓ Montage vidéo ✓ Streaming ✓ Sécurité des données ✓ Conversion ✓ Gravure ✓ Radio mondiale ► Plus d'informations

I would return the the last firmware version.

If it isnt broken dont fix it.

Comment

• keithgate
      • Aug 2004

I got the firmware from the Optorite website. Like it said, it is very steady with the 105 ver. just very slow. The 106 ver. is fast on the analysing/encoding but causes the Power Calib. Error when I try to burn anything. I have been switching back and forth from on firmware to the other without any problems so far, but would rather not have to do that each time I want to burn a backup.

Comment

• lgha
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Mar 2004

Keithgate - What software and which version do you use to burn? The reason I ask if it's Nero then you may want to update to a newest version as early versions were reported to be buggie.
        You do not say just how you're processing you dvds ie..are you using DVDShrink, DVDDecryptor, one of the many other softwares on the markert? Is you PC a FAT32 system? If not then, depending on just how you're processing your output, you may want to look into outputing in ISO format and have DVDDecryptor burn the ISO. DVDShrink and DVDDEcryptor are both freeware (Shrink does not burn but will output in ISO in the later version) It would be nice to match your burning SW to your firmware.

Comment

• keithgate
          • Aug 2004

I use DVD Shrink to encode. I am using the updated OEM of Nero6. (I downloaded that latest update from Nero for my OEM version). I don't feel like I need the full retail of Nero because I don't need any extra "bells or whistles" for managing CD/DVD's other than making basic backups. I have been using Shrink to make the ISO files in one session with the latest firmware and then backing down to the prior firmware to burn the files with Nero6. That has proved to be the maximized speed process for me.

Comment

• Floppy

I have read enough power calibration errors to last me a live time, mind you that does not make me an expert at all.

None the less I since your problem is a direct result of a official firmware update I would if "I was in your shoes" (Hey easy now! I'm not that kind of boy.) Write a nice e-mail to optorite support explaining this and hope they correct the bug in the firmware update that causes this.

You may find that they will resolve the issue far better than I could. Then again I speak for myself not for anyone else in this forum.

hope this is of help to you
            Last edited by Guest; 8 Sep 2004, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Hi again

I just noticed that They have a new firmaware update the DD0405 160E.

Have a go with that one instead this may correct the problems you have been experiencing after all.

It is one of the causes the media (or rather the support by your drive to that media)

Good Things

Comment

• keithgate
                • Aug 2004

I finally tried some different discs and they worked with Shrink encoding and then burning directly from Shrink with Nero6 using the latest firmware.

Comment

• Floppy

HI keithgate

This is great news right?

I would say it is safe to try the burn with nero express or rom now. If one works they all should.

Good things man

Comment

Working...