Want to copy DVD's on a PC. What should I get.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbleous
    • Sep 2004

Want to copy DVD's on a PC. What should I get.

Greetings,

I'm new to this subject matter but I think I'm in the place that can provide answers for me.

I'm in the market for a new PC and one capability that I'm looking for is the ability to make copies of DVD's that I own because my young kids (5 & 7) are hard on DVD's I'd like to buy a DVD, make a copy for my kid's use and put the original away.

Is it possible to do such a thing? (I'm assuming the studios have the DVD's encoded in a manner to prevent this for obvious reasons). If so what hardware/software specifically would you recommend?

I've been looking at an HP a650e desktop with a 16x max DVD-ROM Drive and a Double Layer 8X DVD+RW/+R drive. Would this do the trick with the right software? Is there a better way to go about this outside of the PC?

Regards.

Leo
  • guilhas
    • Mar 2004

See guides in this site (DVD SHRINK & DECRIPTER) the hardware is enough, remeber to use good medias such as ritek, ridata and have a lot of sapce in your HardDrive

have fun.

Comment

• bbleous
      • Sep 2004

After reading a little about how the software works, is it really necessary to have a DVD ROM drive and a DVD+RW/+R drive? Could I get by with just a DVD+RW/+R drive?

Comment

• guilhas
        • Mar 2004

No. u can have only the DVD+-RW Drive, first it reads the original disc, shink it on your HardDrive then ask u to insert in the same drive that was reading the original DVD, a blank DVD.
        If u have two drives u can program the process to read from one drive and burn in another with DVDShink, but a space in your HardDrive will still be needed.
        It ony gives u less work by changing the medias.
        In my case the total process (read, deep analisys, sharpcorrection, shink, and burn) takes up to one hour or one hour and half (deppending on the original DVD length). Removing DeepAnalisys and SharpCorrection takes up to 30/40 minutes.

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

I use my dvd burner to rip and burn. Ripping is supposed to put more wear on the burner so people used to get a separate dvd reader for ripping plus they are usually faster. With the prices of dvd burners now IMO I see no reason to get both.

Comment

Working...