Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyCr15
    • May 2004

DVD Recorder (not PC - home movie)

I don't know if this is a good place to ask or not, but I guess it can't hurt...

Can anyone tell me, I want to buy a DVD recorder so I can record TV shows, remove the adverts and then use the DVD's on a normal DVD player.

Having never owned or used a DVD Recorder, I don't know if this is possible. People tell me you can cut the adverts from the recordings (does this have to be done on a DVD-RW?), I'm guessing then I could use my PC to copy it from a RW to a plain R which has a better chance of playing in an ordinary player.... or does it not matter?

I guess it would be cheaper to get them onto DVD-R's mind you.

Any info anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Can anyone tell me, I want to buy a DVD recorder so I can record TV shows, remove the adverts and then use the DVD's on a normal DVD player.
    It is possible.

I use a Panasonic with DVD RAM as the rewiteable media. THis suits my needs but unless I record onto DVD-R. The discs won't read in most players.

Therefore, for you, at least a DVD + recorder is probably the best solution. There are dozens of different ones which all record to DVD +R and DVD+RW.

There are also several that read and write to DVD - and DVD +.

More players should work with - / +R than - / + RW.

Comment

• AndyCr15
      • May 2004

Thanks for your response.

This morning I saw a deal on a Panasonic E85 that I just couldn't miss, so I bought it. Very happy so far (although I haven't done much with it just yet). Almost 36 hours of recording on the 80 gig HDD should keep me going for some time.

Editing seems easy enough, I'll see how it goes writing to a DVD later.

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Good choice. The panasonic's are really much better made than most recorders. The downside is it cannot use DVD-RW or DVD +.

I have a Panasonic HS2 which is similar to the E85 except it only has a 40GB HDD. If you just want to record, watch then erase, the LP setting is still better than VHS and doubles your recording time.

I don't use DVD-R that often when recording from the HDD. I prefer to go to RAM and then use the PC for the editing. There isn't really any benefit using a PC except I prefer to do all my DVD Authoring on a computer. I often switch between - and +.

You will probably just need to edit on the E85 then dub it onto a DVD-R.

BTW, you will find the timeslip useful -.

You can record a programme and watch another recording at the same time

Record and watch a DVD/RAM or DVD-R at the same time.

And also start recording then start watching from the begininng while it is still recording. You can even stop, fast forward. rewind and pause while watching You don't need to wait until the recording is finished before you start watching it.
        Last edited by nwg; 4 Sep 2004, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• AndyCr15
          • May 2004

I have a question, I have run an ariel lead through from the DVD Recorder in one room, to a TV in my bedroom. I want to be able to play the recordings on the HDD on the TV in my room... but it doesn't seem to work Does it only play through the scart and not the ariel lead?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Does it only play through the scart and not the ariel lead?
            The aerial is just for receiving the TV picture.

You need to either connect the Scart, S Video (looks like a PC mouse/keyboard socket) or Composite video (yellow phono socket) cables. The composite would be slightly better quality than a aerial connection. If your TV has a yellow phono socket you could use that. They work over many metres.

I connect the aerial to my freeview digital tv which then goes to the HS2. Then attached a scart on AV2 which goes to my TV. This is set to RGB to record and playback in the best picture quality.
            Last edited by nwg; 5 Sep 2004, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• AndyCr15
              • May 2004

Actually, I came back just now to say I figured it... I just need to learn to tune my TV in properly. After scanning I found the HDD output on a different frequency is all

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

After scanning I found the HDD output on a different frequency is all
                OK, I didn't know that.

Comment

Working...