Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodchuck
    • Sep 2004

DVD -R or +R for older DVD drives

Not sure if I should post here but since the site I normally go to is down I'll ask here. I tried to copy a data DVD using DVD-R disc and it works fine on my newer computer, but when I try to use it on my older Toshiba Satellite 2595XDVD(circa 1999) notebook it can't be viewed. So the question is, what format do most older DVD drive use?

Thanks
  • lgha
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Mar 2004

Before there was a plus format it was all minus. Not sure just old your other PC is but you might give (-) a try. You might want to read the following to see what others have to say:

for writer compatibility search here:

Also use a RW to reduce coasters until you get it figured out.

Comment

• Woodchuck
      • Sep 2004

The url is presently dead, does it work from your seide?

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Don't expect any DVD's to work with it except DVD films.

I have a Creative Labs from 1999 and no - or + DVD will work. This is because - or + wasn't about then (except maybe in Japan).

Comment

• Woodchuck
          • Sep 2004

I'm confused, as the orignal data DVD disc works but the copy I made doesn't. I did the burn with a Sony DRU-510A

Comment

• lgha
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Mar 2004

Woodchuck - the parent site videohelp.com is down at this time so check back later. The site has alot of information. This DVD not being read may have something to do with "booktype" as nwg stated you can't go back in time to far.

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

If the original is a DVD ROM like a data DVD from a magazine then it may work. However, this is because it is profesionally made and not burned to a DVD - or +.

Comment

• bamo
                • Jun 2004

If your drive supports bitseting DVD+R set to DVD-ROM will sort it.

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

If your drive supports bitseting DVD+R set to DVD-ROM will sort it.

That won't help a drive from 1999. The drive seems to only play DVD films and computer DVD ROM's discs.

Comment

• Woodchuck
                    • Sep 2004

I'm going out today to purchase a few +R & +RW DVD's and see what happens. Is there anyway to tell what format a DVD was made with?

Comment

• lgha
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Mar 2004

This is a neat little program that will tell you who made the disc and the ID:

Comment

• bamo
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by nwg
                        That won't help a drive from 1999. The drive seems to only play DVD films and computer DVD ROM's discs.
                        Yes that's what booktype does.Fools the drive that its a pressed disc.

Comment

• nwg
                          Left *****
                          • Jun 2003

Yes that's what booktype does.Fools the drive that its a pressed disc.
                          That isn't the same thing.

I use booktype to get my Panasonic to read DVD + as it only reads RAM and DVD -. A drive that cannot read DVD - or + will still not read DVD - or + turned into DVD ROM's.

I was referring to my previous post of the drive reading professionally made computer DVD ROM's (as in computer DVD's with software on it).

A DVD - or + set to DVD ROM will still not work in an old drive. The laser cannot read it as it wasn't around when the drive was made. It cannot read any recordable DVD regardless whether the booktype is a -, + or DVD ROM.

Comment

• lgha
                            Digital Video Technician
                            Digital Video Technician
                            • Mar 2004

nwg - what would it take to "make" such a disc? Being very,very new to all this, just how does one go about making a DVD-Rom disc that is playable in such a drive. You say "professional made" but just how is that done? I've followed your post and you seem to have quite a handle on various dvd editing programs and your advise has proved to be right on in just about every situation. Can you give a direction to look for the answers?

Comment

• nwg
                              Left *****
                              • Jun 2003

Professional made discs are pressed in the factory (layers are glue together) rather than burnt. Nothing in the home can do pressed discs.

A commercial disc has a booktype of DVD ROM. This is why all DVD players can play them. Put a DVD in with a DVD - or DVD + booktype, and it may or may not work.

A way round it is to use bitsetting. This is a handy feature on some DVD + writers. I have a Ricoh with it and a couple of other makes include Liteon and NEC. They write the disc as usual but change the booktype to DVD ROM when doing the lead in section before finalsing. Put the disc in a standalone player and it should work. It works with both +RW and +R. Once a +RW has been tuned to a DVD ROM, it stays like it until it is changed back.

If a DVD ROM drive can do DVD - but not DVD +. There is a chance that it will also work. However, drives are much more picky on what plays. Some will only work with R and some only work RW.

There isn't anything like this for DVD -.

Comment

Working...