Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cassbowen
    • Sep 2004

Pulling me hair out!!! Help please

I hope there is someone out there that can help me, pulling me hair out here.
    At the weekend I bought a BTC R+/R-/Rw CD-R/RW Writer. Story so far. I have managed to write several DVDs using a mixture of DVD Shrink, Decryptor and Nero. I have been using Medianca DVD R- discs. I have had mixed results. But at last today I did manage to successfully rip and burn a couple of DVDs. Now here is where my troubles start.......both will play OK on my pc but neither will play on my standalone DVD player (Panasonic SA-PM08). The strange thing is that when I first played one of them it DID work, albeit a bit jumpily. Tried the second one, no play. Put the first one back in, no play. How could that be? Also I have tried other DVDs on DVD R- , which I borrowed from a friend, and they work just fine. Any kind person able to point me in the right direction regarding this problem. Thank you so much

PS sorry to waffle on, hope it makes sense
  • lgha
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Mar 2004

You might want to check out what others have to say about your burner and player:

for writer compatibility search here:

and for DVD player compatibility search here:

What you've discribing is generally due to the blank media you're using and/or the speed at which they were burned - other factors too, but I'd start with the above links.

Comment

• Cassbowen
      • Sep 2004

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
      I have had a look at the websites as you suggested. It does say that my DVD player is compatable with DVD R- so strange these are not working. Unfortunately my dvd writer is not listed there.

I am going to try writing at a slower speed (1x) Hope this will help. The disks I am using aren't what I would call cheap, they were £15.00 for 10 but I am willing to try anything so I will buy some different ones tomorrow.

Once again thanks.

Comment

• Cassbowen
        • Sep 2004

Writing at 1x made no difference. Off to buy some different dicks.

Comment

• lgha
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Mar 2004

"..Also I have tried other DVDs on DVD R- , which I borrowed from a friend, and they work just fine..."

A large number of posters here like the Ridata/Ritek G04 discs. The "disc from your friend", what is the brand? If they work in your system then maybe you've found your answer. Make sure that you have latest update for Nero and Decryptor. To rule out Nero you could have Shrink output in ISO format and have Decryptor burn the ISO, but I think you're on the right track about the blank media you're using.
          Last edited by lgha; 21 Sep 2004, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Cassbowen
            • Sep 2004

Hi there. The brand of the disc from my friend was plain old Memorex. I have just phoned Panasonic to ask them which type of disc my DVD player supports. I got the answer that it did not play either DVD-R or DVD +R. But as I say my mates DVD-Rs play just fine. Beginning to think I have wasted a whole load of money sob sob. BTW I have tried ruling out Nero as you suggested, this made no difference. Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

• lgha
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Mar 2004

Here is neat little program that tell you just WHO made the Memorex from your friend:

You will find that Memorex, Fuji, and most disc companys do not make their own disc. The Memorex you buy today may not be made by the same people of the Memorex you bought yesterday. A great many people here prefer Ritek/Ridata Grade A G04s as they seem to have the greatest compatability with burners and players. I would suggest you use this program and see just who made the good Memorex.

Comment

• Cassbowen
                • Sep 2004

Igha. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I honestly cannot thank you enough.

I used the dvd identifer program and the Memorex were infact made by CMC Magnetics corp. Well, I just so happened to have 5 discs by Xerox which I hadn't dare open. Guess what? They too were made by the above company. Fired one in and BINGO it worked. Thank you so much. Just one more question, if I may. Do you happen to know a good place to get the Ritek discs? I am in the UK.

Comment

• Cassbowen
                  • Sep 2004

I am sorry that seemed dead lazy of me to ask you that. I have done a search and found these. Are they the right ones? I had no idea there would be so many different types. Cheers

Using the famous GO4 Azo A++ deep purple dye
                  from 31p per disc - the most popular dvd-r on the market - known for its quality

Official brand made by Ritek, White Printable CloneDisc 4X DVD-R is exclusively Ritek 100% grade A++ and never anything less! guaranteed grade A deep purple dye, 4.7Gb (240 min), multi speed nicam stereo compatible, suitable for digital TV. Absolutely the best discs for video and game backup. Trade prices 1000 + discs. Select quantity on the right. Capable of recording to 6-8X with correct firmware, guaranteed to 4X.

Comment

• lgha
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Mar 2004

I'm not sure about the UK but have a look at this site:

There are other places that carry the same disc. Ritek comes in plus or minus.

Comment

• Cassbowen
                      • Sep 2004

I ended up ordering these. Are they OK? Please say yes. Sorry couldn't seem to set it as a link to the webpage. thanks again for all your help

Ridata Printable 4x Ritek DVD-r 50 pack #17273
                      50 pack. Inkjet Printable. 4 Speed Disc.
                      Grade A, If you buy elsewhere, always check that that are guaranteed GRADE A)
                      - Genuine Ritek 4X DVD-R Super Grade
                      - Hi-resistance to Finger Prints
                      - DVD-R for General, Write-once format DVD
                      - Conform to DVD Specifications for Recordable Disc Ver. 2.0 (4.7GB)
                      - Speed: 1X, 2X, 4X - Video recording time(4.7GB): 60min ~~ 120min(depend on user)
                      - Excellent compatibility with writers and players
                      - Utilizes superb premium organic dye that ensures stable writing with excellent quality
                      - Relatively low cost per megabyte
                      - Long-term data archiving and storage life timeRitek DVD-R ensures reliable recording and playback functionality, delivering stunning video resolution and audio performance

Comment

• Floppy

Hi there guys

If your looking for disks here in the UK (Where I live) try here:

I buy the Ritek G-04 as well -R flavour in the inkjet printable surface (silver or white) when you check out the prices you will have a fit to think how much money you wasted B4.

I print then directly to the DVD with a Epson R300.

have a go

Good things

Comment

• Cassbowen
                          • Sep 2004

Fil
                          Thanks for the link. I have saved it in my favourites.

Comment

• Floppy

No problem buddy

Enjoy the low prices

Comment

• Cassbowen
                              • Sep 2004

My new discs arrived today. Have been busy backing up all evening. Four done already and not one single problem. Thanks so much for all your help.

Comment

Working...