• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kura
    • Oct 2004

problems with dvd-r freezing

hello!
    posting to you from slovenia so please ekscuse my bad english

I have a problem with playing dvd-r(s), when i backup a dvd the backup plays fine in my standalone dvd player (yamada dvx-6600) but it starts freezing and skips/jumps a few seconds on the end of the movie
    that's the last 10 minutes of the movie,
    I use Verbatim datalifeplus 1-4x dvd media, dvd shrink, dvd decrypter & Nero 6 ultra edition 6.3.1.6., my writer is TEAC dv-w58gk, in shrink my target dvd size is set to 4400mb

My operating system is winxp s.pack2
    when i installed windows the dma mode for my dvd recorder(TEAC) &for my dvd-rom(SONY) was enabled ultra dma mode 2 or something similar
    but now after a few days i saw that I don't have my dma enabled anymore and the advanced tab in my secondary ide channel properties is gone.
    The setting of my secondary ide channel in the details tab of my secondary ide channel is set to Device instance id: "PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\4&1A057FDE&0&1

what could be wrong? what can i try? It seems that my teac writer has problems writing on the outher end of the dvd, why can't i enable dma, there is no firmware for my teac

help please
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"starts freezing and skips/jumps a few seconds on the end of the movie that's the last 10 minutes of the movie"

That's commonly due to using low quality media. Try using higher quality media, such as Ritek...

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

If you have SP2 you should at least run ver 6.3.1.20 on Nero. Update it.

Comment

• jessestylex
        • Oct 2004

I had this problem, shrink your movie to about 4,350 mb....if you have it on automatic DVD SHrink will only shrink it to 4,464 and thats using 100% of the DVD disc which is to much, it's not freezing at the end of your movies it's just skipping small parts of the movie that it had to leave out due to not enough room on the disc.

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

it's just skipping small parts of the movie that it had to leave out due to not enough room on the disc.
          That doesn't happen

Makes such as Bulkpaq and Princo just aren't stable at the edge.

Comment

• jimmyd
            • Oct 2004

I'm getting the same problem.

NEC 2510A, 256ram, Athlon 1800XP

My question is, if its bad media, why does it play PERFECTLY FINE in a console(TV top) DVD player? There isnt so much as a flicker, but when its put into a computer, it cant read it correctly and gets read errors.

I'm using RiData Media, which yes, was cheap. There must be some other way of getting around this though, as I've just bought a spool of 50 of these bloody things :x

Thanks.

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

Ridata is normally excellent. They are grade A discs from Ritek. I use their Ridisc brand.

The problem is getting the right discs to match the DVD writer.

Early NEC's used to be a bit picky on what media they like. I don't know if it is still applies to newer models. NEC models do like their firmwares updated reguarly more than other makes.

Comment

• jimmyd
                • Oct 2004

Okay, I just updated my firmware, I'm going to try my luck again. I feel bad, I've coastered like 10 already

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

I feel bad, I've coastered like 10 alread
                  Try doing test discs first on a DVD-RW/+RW.

Comment

• jimmyd
                    • Oct 2004

I'd like to report that the firmware fixed my problem. Everything runs great now I'm so happy!!

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

I'd like to report that the firmware fixed my problem. Everything runs great now I'm so happy!!
                      Good. For some reason NEC writers like their regular firmware updates.

I still use my original firmware on my LG 4040. I have no desire on intention of upgrading the firmware, Every disc has burned 100%. Along with my old Ricoh burner (original firmware as well), I haven't had one coaster in all the 16 months I have had a DVD writer.

Comment

Working...