X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericy5150
    • Oct 2004

Pacific Digital Mach 16????

Does anyone know about the Pacific Digital Mach 16X Dual Layer
    DVD +/- RW Burner? It seems to burn/read everything under the sun and uses the dual layer system for up to 8.5 GB on one dual layer disc at 2.4X. It says its burns will be compatible in virtually all DVD Video players and DVD-ROM drives. It is on PD's website for $99.
    I'm new to the DVD burn scene and wondered if anyone knew about this new burner and if it is too soon to know how it will perform.

Thanks!

• Floppy

Hello

You may have read This Link?

Would u click on the vote link on my signature please, its a multiple option, free, and no strings attached, no information about yourself will be collected or needed....

Good Things

Comment

• rickw51
      • Nov 2005

Can't change book type

I bought one of the Pacific Digital Mach 16's at a bargain price of 39 dollars. I am going to return it because when using +R discs I can not change the book type setting to DVD-ROM. Instead it recognizes and burns them as DVD +R which is not compatible with three of the four players I have in my home. If anyone has ideas on how the book type can be changed I'd appreciate hearing about it.
      Thanks,
      Rick

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

rick,
        what program are you burning with?

erichy,
        not very new, could be good if it's the rebadge benq 1620, but!!!!!!!

Comment

• rickw51
          • Nov 2005

I'm using the latest version of Nero. I've also tried running a DVD Bitsetting program but it didn't recognize the drive.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

rick, can you get to this window under choose recorder?
            Attached Files

Comment

• rickw51
              • Nov 2005

Chewy I'm at work right now but I'll check when I get home. I'm relatively sure that I have been to that screen but book type settings wasn't even available as an option. I had a similar problem with a TDK Drive that I bought a couple of years ago. When I contacted TDK they informed me that their drives indeed do not allow manipulation of the book type. I see that for Black Friday, Staples will have this drive as an early bird special for less than 20 dollars. Maybe that's an indicator.........................

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

I have 7 dvd burners(a couple I have never got around to installing yet),
                some are in computers for sale or on loan, but I never bought one locally.
                Newegg or chiefvalue sell top rated burners(not rebadges) for around 40$.
                NEC, BENQ & LG seem to be the best buys, last year I got my first
                nec 3520, I had used Plextor before that, the nec's beat the plex's in
                compatibility, price and reading various formats(incl cdg).

Comment

• rickw51
                  • Nov 2005

I guess you haven't run into this problem with yours. From what I've discovered, the three that you named here do allow for bitsetting (either through the burning software or with a bitsetting utility. I thought the Pacific Digital was actually a rebadged NEC but it seems that I was wrong on that count. Hey, at least I'm learning..........the hard way......but learning.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

Hey,
                    I just saved a few dollars on an oem Benq and then found out the firmware
                    in that family wouldn't allow me to scan, and that's what I bought the drive for.

after a couple of hours searching I had the baby crossflashed
                    to the pro family

I was lucky that the firmware hackers had done their job?
                    Dangerous brothers indeed, I am the one that's dangerous.

am writting the extra time off to experience

Comment

Working...