Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drsletmedown
    • Aug 2004

My Conclusions On What Works

I have an original copy of DVD X Copy Platinum which I have always used to backup my movies prior to trying DVD Shrink.
    After trying Shrink & it jumping & freezing up I was convinced it was Shrink until I tried my DVD X Copy with the same media & it did it as well & then I thought downloading Shrink had something to do with it. Many here at this site told me it was likely the media so this is what I discovered after many trials & errors & coasters. I have 5 DVD players & all but 1 are a year or less old the oldest being 3 years old. 2 Daewoos a DVG3000N & a DV6T834B , 1 Magnavox a MDV650R, 1 Terapin a TT-2600DVD, 1 Yamakawa a DVD218. I copied & burned the same ISO movie file using DVD Shrink & Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 Platinum. I made 7 copies off of the same file. These are the results when playing them back on my players how many they did or did not play error free.

The Terapin #TT-2600DVD 6 out of 7 Unit cost $29.00
    The Yamakawa #DVD218 5 out of 7 Unit cost $29.00
    The Magnavox MDV650R DVD recorder & player 3 out of 7 Unit cost $479.00
    The Daewoo DVG3000N Unit cost $149.00 2 of 7
    The Daewoo DV6T834B Unit cost $109.00 0 of 7

The only unit I was able to find a firmware update for was the Magnavox unit & will report back if it plays more brands of media after updating it.

The media I used is as follows & I checked them with Disc identifier the following are how many played error free on my 5 DVD players.

Brand GQ DVD+8X 4.7 - Optodisc Technology Corp. Media Type OR8
    4 of 5 Cost .29 ea.
    Brand Value Disc DVD+R 4X 4.7 - CMC Magnetics Corp. Media Type FO1
    3 of 5 Cost .40 ea.
    Brand Memorex DVD+R 4X 4.7 - Ricoh Company Ltd. Media Type RO1
    2 of 5 $1.00 wa.
    Brand Starlogic DVD-R 1X 4.7 - Princo Corp. Media Type None Shown
    0 Of 5 .40 ea.

Conclusions :

With the differences in brands of media & the pickyness of what the players will & will not play it is a trial & error process so be prepared to waste discs & make coasters. If you use a RW disc. & your players don't like that brand of media you proved nothing to yourself. If it is going to take expensive $2.00 + a piece discs to gurantee they will play which I still don't think you can count on them either until you try it in the player you plan to play the copies in so cheap is just as good in my opinion because if & when you find a media that will play in one player it's NO guarantee it will play in another stand alone unit so don't expect to loan or play something that plays for you in someone elses player. This is way too much work, way too many wasted discs & way too unreliable & takes way too much time in my opinion you are betterr off just buying a second copy & putting it up. After you make enough coasters trying to find media that works & all the time involved I have better things to do with my life.
    Good luck & hope this saves someone the time & money I wasted trying to make reliable back ups.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your DVD burner, as well as media compatibility, go to:

(If necessary, open the Device Manager in the Control Panel to determine the make and model number)

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Last edited by setarip; 17 Oct 2004, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...