X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJ TraX
    • Oct 2004

Problems with resolution >

Hi there.

I'm in some desperate need for assistance.
    The problem that I have is concerning resolution.

I have a movie (avi - xvid), that I'm going to convert to DVD (VOB, IFO, BUP). I'm using Virtual Dub 1.5.10, TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress and TMPGEnc DVD Authoring 6.0.

The problem is, that the source file (avi - xvid), have a resolution of "592 * 272". It's NTSC (29,970 fps). And that resolution is not supported by NTSC, neither is PAL. So here's the problem.
    When using TMPGEnc, I can only choose resolutions "720 * 480" and "704 * 480". ?? I can override the MPEG-2 standard, and enter my own values, but then when I'm trying to import the final rendered m2v and mp2 file, into TMPGEnd DVD Authoring, I get the errormessage, that are telling me that the resolution is not supported by neither NTSC or PAL. I tried to encode the file with "720 * 480", and the result was a picture (movie) that was very stretched. It looked really awfull. I'm pretty new to all this. But I was wondering, has the solution for this problem, got something to do with "cropping"?

I hope somebody can help me here.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"have a resolution of 592 * 272"

This is clearly a widescreen video that has had the upper and lower "black bars" cropped off, in order to save a little filesize.

Try the following in TMPGEnc:

Click the "Advanced" tab and change applicable settings to: "16:9 Display", either "Fullscreen (Keep Aspect Ratio)" or "Center (Keep aspect ratio)".

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• DJ TraX
      • Oct 2004

Thanks for your reply setarip.

I tried what you mentioned in TMPEGEnc 2.5, but I didn't work.
      I didn't finish the encoding, because I saw in the realtime preview window that the resolution (size) was wrong. In MPEG setting > Video tab > size : 720 * 480 (or 702 * 480), since those are the only value I can use for NTSC DVD it seems. Aspect ratio : 16:9 display. MPEG setting > Advanced > Source Aspect ratio : 16:9 display. Video Arrange method : Full Screen (keep aspect ratio). (I also tried Center (keep aspect ratio). When I started encoding, the preview window, still showed a streched image. When I chose Video Arrange method : Full Screen (keep aspect ratio), the image filled the whole screen (maximum stretched). When I chose Video Arrange method : Center (keep aspect ratio), the image didn't fill the whole screen, but it was still stretched to 720 * 480 in resolution. I tried to change the values in different directions on all the different settings, but the image was still stretched.

This is really annoying. =( I really want to put this movie onto DVDR, but it's no point when the image is all stretched and looks really bad.

Any more tips or things that I could try?
      I really hope there is a sollution for this problem.
      I'm desperate.!

Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Despite your concern regarding the appearance in the preview window, I'd strongly suggest you try my suggestions - and when you've converted the resultant TMPGEnc files using TMPGEnc DVD Author, burn to a DVD R/W - you may be pleasantly surprised ;>}

Comment

• ziadost
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

as setarip said, forget about the preview window... the preview window is there to show what part of the file tmpgenc is currently encoding.... to try "16:9 display" and see the results in just a few minutes, do a "CBR encode" (constant bitrate), and set the motion search to "lowest quality"... then let it encode for a few minutes. then cancel the encode. then play the file.
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• DJ TraX
            • Oct 2004

Hi ziadost.

I tried what you mentioned, I encode a little part of the movie, then watch the result. But unfortunately, the picture/movie is stretched. It seems there's no way to get it to work.

But this has to be a major problem, not only for me, but for all those who want to put their favorite DivX or XviD movie onto DVDR. Since these movies are encoded differently with different resolutions. (it varies, but close to always, movies (DivX and XviD) that you download has different resolutions.

And then you are doomed to end up with a stretched image, after encoding / converting to m2v or standard MPEG2. Since NTSC support only key resolutions (720 * 480, 702 * 480 and 352 * 480, 352 * 240), and PAL (720 * 576, 352 * 576 and 352 * 288). At least according to TMPGEnc's spesifications. However, I only get to choise "720 * 480" or "702 * 480", either if it's NTSC or PAL. So I just don't get it. =(

I hope somebody have encountered a way to fix this.
            In conclusion, this means that when you download a movie and plan to put it on DVDR, the image will be stretched, since most of the movies (DivX and XviD) share different resolutions, thus when encoding / converting, there's a very domestic chance, that the image will be stretched.

Thanks for all the help this far mates.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Once again, I'd strongly suggest you try my suggestions - and when you've converted the resultant TMPGEnc files using TMPGEnc DVD Author, burn to a DVD R/W - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Your standalone DVD player's playback appearance will not be the same as your PC's playback...

(You've nothing to lose - the R/W can always be used again)

Comment

• ziadost
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

yes, again, just TRY on your standalone DVD player... i have converted many divx/xvid's to dvd's, and all with the correct aspect ratio...
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...