X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darnun
    • Oct 2004

Mpg To DVD Problem

Hi All,

I was really hoping that someone could either help me or give me some advice on a really annoying issue I have.

I have an mpg file of a concert. Details are: mpg-1 / 24bit 352 x 240
    Audio = mpeg layer 2 / 44100 16bit stereo \ 128 kbit rate.

I am using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 and asking it to create a DVD disc.
    I have created the menus etc and burned it to disk. The first 3 songs play fine but during the 4th song the audio cuts out and the rest of the concert is silent.
    I have created the DVD in PAL and NTSC formats and I have changed what settings are applicable in Ulead but nothing changes it.

The original MPG plays fine on my PC. The dvd I burned has the same error when I play it in my PC so it is obvioulsy something with the conversion.

This is an mpg of a televised concert from 1984 and I am dying to get it on DVD.

Any ideas.?

Thanks in Advance
    Darren
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

The MPEG-1 is probably the result of two original files (improperly) joined together. Use TMPGEnc to re-save as follows:

TMPGEnc>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

Load the MPEG-1 and re-save with a new filename

Comment

• darnun
      • Oct 2004

Thanks Setarip. I will give it a try and see what happens. I'll let ya know.

Darren

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks Setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• darnun
          • Oct 2004

OK did what you said and Ulead DVD movie factory 3 creates an Audio TS folder, Video TS folder and an ISO image for burning.

I mounted the ISO using Alcohol120 to test it. It now has sound all the way through the song that it originally cut off in. The only problem is the ISO ends there and starts from the beginning again.!!!!!

Originally the ISO it created was 555 mg in total, now it's only 266mg. It's almost as though it's only created an ISO with about a third of the concert on it. Something happened during the Merge and Cut. It said it had completed succesfully though.

Darnun

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

What is the filesize of the new TMPGEnc MPEG-1 versus the filesize of the original MPEG-1?

Comment

• darnun
              • Oct 2004

Original size was 422,534K and the new one is 129,337. That equals to 12 and a half minutes total.
              When TMPGEnc is running it's process, it only shows the video stream and audio streams as being 759 seconds in total which equals the 12 and a half minutes.

I did double click on the file name in TMPGenc and made sure the ranges were set from 00:00:01 to 45:01:36 (the end effectively) but it still only does the above.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

It would then seem that the (presumed) originally joined files were joined at 12 1/2 minutes. Try the following:

TMPGEnc>>MPEGTools>Merge&Cut

Load the original

Save the first approximate 12 1/2 minutes (exactly to the point where the video ends at the end of the third song) as one MPEG-1 with a new filename

THEN "Clear"

Re-load the original

Save the remainder (Starting IMMEDIATELY after the third song) as another MPEG-1 with a different new filename.

See if each of them plays properly...

Comment

• darnun
                  • Oct 2004

Right...Tried That.
                  The first 12 1/2 minutes was fine. As soon as I tried to do from that point on, tmpgenc said it was seeking video file and then audio file. It then went on to create an 8 second clip at 1.4 mg.
                  Anything else after that it could find or create.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

Since it's apparent that you are not the creator of the original file, anything else I might suggest would br pure speculation.

Perhaps some other poster will have a suggestion...

Comment

• darnun
                      • Oct 2004

No worries. I really appreciate you helping mate.
                      I'm just trying it with another programme at the minute. Who knows I might get lucky.

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

Good luck ;>}

Comment

• darnun
                          • Oct 2004

One last question mate.
                          I have now converted the mpg using Cucusoft Avi to Dvd converter. It has created a 1.6gb mpg file again, a 1.5gb m2v file and a 67mg mpa file. How do I burn these three to a dvd. What programme can I use.?

Thanks again

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

You should only need the ".MPG" file (The ".M2V" and ".MPA" files are merely the demultiplexed videostream and audiostream of the ".MPG" file). Load it into "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc" and "TMPGEncPlus"), create chapters and a menu if you like.
                            If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
                            (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Comment

• darnun
                              • Oct 2004

Thanks for that. I will give it a go once I am back home from work.

I have been doing DVD and VCD stuff for years but have only really just started to do conversions so it's a whole new ball game for me. So, apologies if I sound like a real newbie on this.

Comment

Working...