Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RPT
    • Feb 2004

DVD's won't play on APEX player

I’m having a rather odd hardware problem, and I wonder if anyone has some insight or advice. I have 2 DVD players … an old APEX 500 (still works great) and a newer JVC home entertainment system. I decided to get a DVD burner specifically so I could make DVD’s to watch on both systems, but especially the APEX. I first bought an HP external DVD burner, with a batch of Memorex DVD+R disks (web research indicated that the APEX 500 would only play +R’s). I authored & burned a couple of DVD’s using Ulead Movie Factory 3 and they worked great on both the JVC & the APEX. I decided to return the external DVD burner and purchase an internal, and after some research I settled on the Pioneer DVR-108 dual layer burner … good reviews, good price. I’ve now created a couple of DVD's on the same Memorex DVD+R disks using the same Ulead software. They work fine in the JVC … but they won’t work in the APEX!! After spinning around for a bit, the APEX indicates that the disk is damaged, and then indicates there is no disk. Again, same brand disks & same software.
    Can anyone help? I’d like to be able to keep the DVR-108, but if I can’t produce disks that work on the APEX it really defeats the main purpose of buying it in the first place
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by RPT; 21 Oct 2004, 05:32 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try burning at a lower speed...

Comment

• RPT
      • Feb 2004

thanks setarip ... I was actually burnnig at 4X!! Should I go slower still?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try 2X...

Comment

• RPT
          • Feb 2004

Tried 2X ... same result!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To lgha

"RPT" states, "I’ve now created a couple of DVD's on the same Memorex DVD+R disks using the same Ulead software." - indicating that the same BRAND of DVD+R that previously played on his/her Apex standalone player no longer plays on that player.

This would appear to obviate anything being accomplished by checking for media compatibility regarding that player.

"RPT" also states, "They work fine in the JVC".

This would, likewise, appear to obviate anything being accomplished by checking for media compatibility regarding the new burner...

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To RPT

1) Have you, since this problem started, successfully played any of your older burned DVDs on the Apex?

2) You might want to try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on the Apex. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US

Comment

• RPT
                • Feb 2004

1) Have you, since this problem started, successfully played any of your older burned DVDs on the Apex?

Yup

2) You might want to try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on the Apex. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US

Tried it!

Someone on another forum suggested that it may have something to do with the fact that the Pioneer doesn't use bitsetting, and the HP perhaps did, and that maybe my APEX player can only read DVD+R if bitsetting was used.

Also ... the dealer suggested I try burning with Nero (that comes with the DVR-108) instead of Ulead. I'll give that a go, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Finally, it occurs to me that I'm taking up a lot of people's time (especially my own) to try & salvage a $90 (Cdn) DVD player. Maybe I'm being obsessive, but I suppose it's better than wearing wearing tinfoil on my head and spending all day talking to my invisible friend.

Isn't it????

Comment

• lgha
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Mar 2004

Sorry Setarip but I still think this is a media/burner compatability issue. I removed my first post because of your interpertation of RPT's post, but the more I read it the more I think I'm correct.

"..I decided to return the external DVD burner and purchase an internal...I’ve now created a couple of DVD's on the same Memorex DVD+R disks using the same Ulead software. They work fine in the JVC … but they won’t work in the APEX!! After spinning around for a bit, the APEX indicates that the disk is damaged, and then indicates there is no disk. Again, same brand disks & same software.."

RPT clearly indicates that the "orginal" burner that was perducing good disc was "returned" and another was purchased and since then the disc have not worked in the Apex. So I'll return my links so that RPT may check "this" burner and dvd player output/compatability with what others have to say, and a link so that RPT may check the disc being used to see just WHO made these disc as companies seldom make their own disc:

for writer compatibility search here:

and for DVD player compatibility search here:

Even though this new burner was just purchased I would check the manufacture's web site to see if there is a firmware update for it. Some burners need different firmware for different disc or "new and improved" discs. I for one do not like Memorex disc because you can never tell just who is making them "this week", and taking the time to double check can't hurt. When I first started burning disc the Memorex I used would work in our JVC but not in an older Apex (the Apex has since been replaced), so I have alittle experience with Apex and Memorex. Now I use Ritek and all is right with the world.
                  Last edited by lgha; 22 Oct 2004, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• RPT
                    • Feb 2004

Igha, thanks for your suggestions!

I actually have www.videohelp.com bookmarked, and I checked out both the APEX & the Pioneer before buying the Pioneer. That's how I knew the APEX 500 would only play DVD+R's. And I downloaded & installed the latest firmware right after getting the Pioneer installed.

I will download the Disk Identifier on the cdfreaks site. I'll also try Ritek disks. It's not only the Memorex disks I'm having the problem with, though ... the same thing happened with another brand ... Kodak.

I'm also going to try burning a disk with Nero rather than Ulead (although for the life of me I can't figure out wht that would make a difference.)

Maybe it's time to break out the tinfoil and give my invisible friend a call ...

Comment

• lgha
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Mar 2004

RPT-I do not know what your PC specs are but if you're running XP+Shrinkv3.2+Nero then be sure to update Nero. The latest Nero update takes into account the SP2 headace (at least in theroy). Nero's burning engine is a little different and some would say more broad with disc, but I find that a little strange. The disc identifier will tell you just WHO made the disc your presently using and the manufactue ID. With this information you can cross reference your burner and player. A great many posters prefer the Ritek G04 Grade A disc because of their greater compatibility with burners and players and least amount of errors. I made the switch after getting tired of playing the guessing game as to which disc I'm buying this week. I purchased three 25 packs of Fuji disc and each pack was made by a different manufacture. It's just not worth all the hassle over a 55 cent disc and the time it takes to rip/encode/burn a backup disc. Here is a site you might find of interest:

Nero Burning Rom is a great program and if you do not already have it there is a 30 trial period. To reduce coaster use a RW until you get the bugs worked out.
                      Last edited by lgha; 22 Oct 2004, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"Maybe I'm being obsessive, but I suppose it's better than wearing wearing tinfoil on my head"

But the tinfoil will certainly improve your reception ;>}

Comment

• tigerman8u
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2003

I have the Apex AD-500WM. I'm using Memorex 4x + and - and all of them are playing without any problem.

Comment

• RPT
                            • Feb 2004

I have the Apex AD-500WM. I'm using Memorex 4x + and - and all of them are playing without any problem.
                            What are you burning your dvd's with?

Comment

• tigerman8u
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RPT
                              What are you burning your dvd's with?
                              I have an Optorite dvd burner and I use Nero 6 to burn. I have also used Dvdshrink and Dvddrcrypter to burn, both with success. My burner is the DD 0203 model. I burn at the maximum speed 4x.

Comment

Working...