Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burnboy
    • Sep 2004

In the market for a DVD burner

I want to buy a dvd burner and was wondering what is the best one to buy.
    Can anyone recommend one that is a good all rounder.
    I would like one that has bittsetting.

Thanks to anyone that can give me feed back.
  • Floppy

Hello

I have a couple of suggestion that I would go for myself, but none of them are DL drives since I dont advise anyone to get one just yet (been saying that for a while now).

My 1st choice here This has a philips chipset and its a philips-benQ OEM look for best price is advised...

My second choice This is the same Philips-BenQ OEM and Philips Chipset and one day if yoyu wanna have dual layer support the company will spport a firmware upgrade for it and even maybe it will also support -R DL when it's out later this year...

I know I dont recommend dual layer drives but technicaly the last choice has the potential of becoming one of the best drives in the market since the company have played for the future in one single fell swoop.

Would u click on the vote link on my signature please, its a multiple option, free, and no strings attached, no information about yourself will be collected or needed....

Good things

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

I don't think the pricedifference between a burner with our without DL function is very much today.

Comment

• Floppy

Hi cynthia Princess

Absafriginlutly! The price diference is hardly anything to loose thoughs about, but I still wanna wait until the industry put out a drive that will support a handfull of DL media instead of 1 type or maybe 2, both - and + DL at a minimun too.

But as we all know there arent a lot of +R DL media out there either thats one reason why the prices for the drives are gonne down the pan... And the prices for this media? phew! -R DL not a site of it....

At this rate we will be victims of trial and error in resolving the media compatibility list of support by hardware (drive) manufactures at our cost, when they should resolve it themselfs.

I wish not this upon anyone and maybe Im wrong but, I'll wait... And wait I will.

Congrats Princess

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Floppy
          I still wanna wait until the industry put out a drive that will support a handfull of DL media instead of 1 type or maybe 2, both - and + DL at a minimun too.
          DL -R/-RW discs are to be shipped first next year. Thats the same is for RW 8x burning.

For the media - thats why there will be new releases of firmware.

My 1st choice here This has a philips chipset and its a philips-benQ OEM look for best price is advised...
          That one only burns -R/+R at 12x... I would go for a 16x burner.
          Last edited by cynthia; 27 Oct 2004, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• burnboy
            • Sep 2004

thanks for the feedback guys.
            I just brought an LG GSA 4160B 16x of ebay right before I got ur feedback floppy. have not got it yet but im sure it will do what I want.
            will let u know how it goes if ur interested.
            Thanks again everyone.

Item: LG 16x "DUAL LAYER" DVD Burner *ALL FORMATS* $149
            Description: Brand New LG 16x Super Multi DVD Rewriter GSA-4160B OEM

FINALLY! A drive which can write to ALL DVD FORMAT! Capable to burn DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DUAL LAYER, DVD-RAM, as well as CD-R and CD-RW, this is the only drive you will EVER needed!

Specification:
            Writing Speed: DVD+R: 16x
            DVD+RW: 4x
            DVD-R: 8x
            DVD-RW: 4x
            DVD-RAM: 5x
            DVD+R DL: 2.4x
            DVD-Rom: 16x
            CD-R: 40x
            CD-RW: 16x
            CD-Rom: 40x
            Average Access time CD-ROM - 125ms
            DVD-ROM - 145ms
            DVD-RAM - 165ms
            Buffer Size 2MB

Package Contents

- Nero Express
            - InCD
            - PowerProducer Gold
            - PowerDVD
            - Owner's Manual
            - Manual for recording software
            - E-IDE (ATAPI)2 drive cable
            - Audio Cable
            - Mounting Screws

Warranty: 12 Months RTB Warranty
            Condition: Brand New

Comment

• Floppy

Hello

By all means post back I think you just paid another 50 bucks more than you should have does that include postage??? $149 is way more than I would pay for the same drive...

Comparison shop for in . See store ratings and reviews and find the best prices on with PriceGrabber's shopping search engine.

e-bay eh? Good deal? For who?

Would u click on the vote link on my signature please, its a multiple option, free, and no strings attached, no information about yourself will be collected or needed....

Good Things

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by burnboy
                FINALLY! A drive which can write to ALL DVD FORMAT! Capable to burn DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DUAL LAYER, DVD-RAM, as well as CD-R and CD-RW, this is the only drive you will EVER needed!
                And the day is yet to come when you want to burn DL -R/-RW discs...

Comment

• Floppy

... And the prices for this media? phew! -R DL not a site of it....

As I say, I still be waiting for the day those super dooper drives are out B4 I join the DL gang, until then, long live the Sony DWU10A

Comment

• skim123
                    • Oct 2004

I too am in the market for a new DVD burner. Do the packaged software that comes with these burners make a difference in selecting a burner? I am looking to transfer my old VHS and Dig8 tapes onto DVDs. My latest thought is buying a firewire card, capturing in AVI format, then burning DVDs. Any suggestions on what firewire card, what capture software, and what burner I should buy? Is it usually the case that the software that is used to burn is the same as the software that is used to capture?

Comment

• Floppy

Hi

Leadtek make really good capture cards that support everything under the sun for a great price.

Make a search on google for a one of them...

Sorry have to be quick, no time for posting links today...

Comment

Working...