X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elkdanger
    • Feb 2003

DVD Burning Issues

Hi

Basically I'm trying to backup a DVD movie, but no matter how I prepare my source files, the DVD only works in the drive that created it!

The drive I am using to burn is the _NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A. I have tried:

1) a 30-second tester clip from a movie which was converted to DVD MPEG-2 using Tmpgenc and then authored using Tmpgenc DVD Author, and burnt to a DVD+RW. This could actually be used on any PC that I tried, but not in a home-player.

2) The same source as in 1), but burnt to a DVD-RW.. same result.

3) The same source as in 1), but burnt to a DVD-R. This one came up as a blank DVD in everything but the drive i burnt it with. Using Nero's Infotool I know that the other drives can read DVD-Rs..

4) Tried using Nero's "DVD Copy" and burnt to a DVD-R.. same result as in 3).

I'm about to try ripping a dvd using DVD-Decrypter and then burning the files with Nero as a DVD-Video, but I just wanted some advice in case i'm doing anything wrong? Could it be the media? The DVD-Rs i'm using are the Datawrite General Purpose 8x..

Also, with regards to home dvd players, is there maybe an issue with using re-writables instead of just writeables?

I've read the guides on how to set up nero correctly, and I've done loads of divx/xvid/svcd encoding from dvds with no problems; this just takes a bit of getting used to

Can anyone shed any light?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your DVD burner, as well as media compatibility, go to:

(If necessary, open the Device Manager in the Control Panel to determine the make and model number)

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Use this program www.dvdinfopro.com and post what firmware your have installed in that drive.

Comment

• elkdanger
        • Feb 2003

Hi, thanks for the replies..

The dvd player i'm testing this with is the JVC XV-S300 (this one), and I no longer have access to the burner described in my original post. As you can see, it supports reading of both DVD-r(w) and dvd+r(w).
        The burner i'm using now is the Pioneer DVR-104, which only writes dvd-r(w). I've just tested copying a dvd using dvdshrink for authoring and then ImgTool to burn; the result is again a dvd that plays fine in a PC but not in a standalone player.
        Currently i'm trying the method again with a dvd-r, even though the result is probably going to be the same.

I'll be able to tell you the firmware version in a little while, but from my research I haven't managed to find an update for my standalone player.

Comment

• elkdanger
          • Feb 2003

Ok, I've just finished what i've described in my above post and it seems to have worked - must be an issue with using RWs. My backed up dvd plays in everything I can throw at it now!

Comment

Working...