Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sean.young
    • Oct 2004

HELP! Copying A Copy Doesn't Work

I can backup encrypted movies no problem (with DVDDecrypt and Shrink). But when trying to copy some DVD-Rs I always get a Data Error. "Cyclic Redundancy Check." The discs are clean and unscratched.

I've tried using Nero as well as the above mentioned software. I've even tried simply clicking and dragging the files to my desktop. No dice. Same error usually near the end of the transfer.

ANY IDEAS? I'M DESPERATE.

PS. Its interesting to note that the ONLY 2 DVD-Rs that I COULD copy did not have CD labels on them. Can that possibly have anything to do with it? If so,.. any means of working around that?

I'm using Win XP on my Sony Vaio.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Why not use Shrink again on the original?

Comment

• Floppy

Hi there all

Besides of what nwg said the workaround is to get rid of the labels... Nasty things, they are...

If you wanna print labels, invest this xmas on a Epson R200/R300 and inkjet printable DVD's... Print straight to disk at less than what it costs you now for the labels and work, frustration, etc, ec, etc.

Would u click on the vote link on my signature please, its a multiple option, free, and no strings attached, no information about yourself will be collected or needed....

good things

Comment

• sean.young
        • Oct 2004

The originals ARE scratched and unusable. THat's why the copies need to be copied.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"The originals ARE scratched and unusable. THat's why the copies need to be copied."

It was quite fortuitous then, that you made copies before the originals were damaged. As a suggestion, most of those who backup their owned original commercial DVDs do so immediately and then store the originals in a safe and secure location, so that they don't get damaged...

Comment

• sean.young
            • Oct 2004

Thanks mom. Does anyone have advice that doesn't require 20/20 hindsight?

Comment

• Floppy

Originally posted by sean.young
              Thanks mom. Does anyone have advice that doesn't require 20/20 hindsight?
              LOL, I do

Get a new mom. LOL

I suggested you take the labels out but theres no mentioned on your last post about it

How many disks are damaged then? just out of curiosity.
              Last edited by Guest; 24 Oct 2004, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Thanks mom. Does anyone have advice that doesn't require 20/20 hindsight?"

Cute ;>} - but the suggestion, OBVIOUSLY, is intended for future reference.

(Don't forget to wash behind your ears)

Comment

• sean.young
                  • Oct 2004

ACtually... there's about 40 DVDs. I'm not going to take the labels off. If that's the problem.. I guess I just won't be backing them up. The originals got all messed up from water and steam (pipes burst). I said scratched for the sake of brevity.

Could the labels really be the problem? Have you heard of that before?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Could the labels really be the problem?"

VERY likely! Negative impact on balance, reflectivity, etc.

If you'd care to do a search of these forums for "labels", you'll find that there have been many negative experiences regarding labels on DVDs...

(Mom here again - I guess I almost taught you well, but you stored the copies in a safe place instead of the originals ;>})
                    Last edited by setarip; 24 Oct 2004, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by sean.young

Could the labels really be the problem? Have you heard of that before?
                      Some people do seem to have problems. It is often down to the quality of the DVD's used and whether the player can cope with them wiht labels. Things like misaligning the labels can cause problems. However, these problems are usually noticed straight away and don't develop over time (unless the DVD's are not checked after burning).

I dont tend to label anymore but, I used to and with zero problems. I only labelled discs with silver tops. Also, some DVD's come with labels already and they are not always noticeable. So people put a label on top of a label. That is a big no no and the label will probably just eventually peel off.
                      Last edited by nwg; 24 Oct 2004, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

If your keeping the labels on then one day u might find they wont even play....

So U have the solution for the problem, if u dont take it then what do U suggest U do, Cause we are out of suggestions, I think I say it for all, maybe?

Comment

• sean.young
                          • Oct 2004

No, I agree. If the problem is the labels... then I'm out of options really. I was just hoping that someone thought it may be something else.

Thanks.

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

Why don't you take a label of a affected disc and see if it works ok afterwards?

If it does then it is the labels.

Comment

• Floppy

i was thinking it might be the moon or the stars in the sky LOL

Sorry sarcasm, I forgot my pills again

Comment

Working...