X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keksforscher
    • Nov 2004

Rip a DVD and convert pcm-audio to mp2

Hello,

I have a DVD which have a video with the size of 4,3 MB on it and the corresponding linear pcm audio with 1,2 GB. In sum it will not fit on a 4,5 DVD+R. If I recode the DVD with Nero Recode or CloneDVD or something else these programs will shrink the video-size to 3,2 GB to fit the LPCM-audio on the disc. Bit I don't want to loose picture-quality. It would be better if the programs convert the LPCM to mp2 (which gives 300 MB) and schrink the video only to a size of 4,2 GB but none of the above programs will recode the audio.

Does anybody knows a program or a way to compute down a whole DVD (with menues, ...) to fit on 4,5 GB and allows me to say "convert audio to a decided level" but shrink video only as absolutly needed?

Thanks

Stefan
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) You're indicating a required video compression of only approximately 25%. If such compression is performed by DVD Shrink (or, likely, Nero Recode as well), I believe you'll find that the resultant video quality is quite acceptable

2) It's rather unusual that a DVD would have ONLY an LPCM audio track. Are you certain there isn't, as is typocally the case also a 5.1 .AC3 audio track? If there is a 5.1 track (since you're obviously not an audio purist, as you're willing to convert the LPCM to .MP2), you can simply delete the LPCM audio track...

Comment

• keksforscher
      • Nov 2004

Hello,

yes, the shrinking is only 25% but I test Nero Recode and CloneDVD and the video is worse at several scenes. And yes, the video has only a LPCM-audio-track. So, my question is still unanswered: how could I shrink a DVD with menus and all other thing and recode the audio from lpcm to mp2 to get maximum video-quality?

Thanks

Stefan

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by keksforscher
        Hello,

how could I shrink a DVD with menus and all other thing and recode the audio from lpcm to mp2 to get maximum video-quality?

Normally, you can't without separating the video and audo, recode the audio and then combine the two again. However, it is extremely difficult to keep the menus and beyond anything I can do.

Try Shrink 3.2 and use it's EAC quality enhancement settings which will considerably improve the picture.

Comment

• keksforscher
          • Nov 2004

OK, I used DVDDecrypter to seperate video from audio and got a .m2v and a .wav-file. I then converted the wav to mp2. Both, the video and the audio have a length auf 111:01 minutes. When I mux the m2v and the mp2 with TMPEGEnc they are both never in sync: the audio ends in about the half of the length of the video. Why?

Thanks

Stefan

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

You were very specific in your stated desire to:

A) Retain the original menu

and

B) Retain the original video quality

Even if you manage to resolve your indicated problem of the foreshortened audiostream, how do you intend to re-create the original menu and .VOB structure?

Comment

• keksforscher
              • Nov 2004

Forget the original menu. The video is enough. Could anybody tell me why TMPEGEnc produces a non-sync video/audio?

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

I use Besweet/AC3machine for the audio. It might be better to convert it to AC3 2.0 (at 192k) instead of MP2. The file size should be similar.

Then I use Ifoedit to mux the two streams together.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

After extracting the audiostream, did you play the .WAV file from beginning to end, to be certain that it is complete?

Comment

• keksforscher
                    • Nov 2004

The wav-file is complete. I checked that.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"When I mux the m2v and the mp2 with TMPEGEnc they are both never in sync: the audio ends in about the half of the length of the video."

1) What is the filesize of the resultant MPEG-2 file?

2) Is your hard drive configured as NTSF or FAT32?

3) How much FREE hard drive space do you have?

4) Does TMPGEnc generate an error message when multiplexing?

5) Are you using/referring to "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc DVD Author"?
                      Last edited by setarip; 7 Nov 2004, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• keksforscher
                        • Nov 2004

The filesize of the mpeg-2 is the sum plus some bytes of the m2v and mp2.
                        All my harddrives are NTFS since I first use Windows NT 3.51
                        Free harddics-drive is about 250 GB (I have two 400 GB HDs)
                        TMPEGENc generates no error during remuxing
                        I refer to TMPEGEnc. If I use TMPGEnc DVD Author the result is the same.

Comment

Working...