X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim Who?
    • Nov 2004

Newbie with an LG - Media?

Hello all

I have bought an LG GSA-4160B for my Dell and I would appreciate some advice on media. I guess it's just trial and error to find the right discs, but if anyone has this drive and can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

I have two standalone players, an LG 2330P and a Samsung M105.

I've used Sony -R x4 4.7gb media, but the standalone LG player won't read it and the Samsung gives choppy video. The disc appears to play ok on the 4160B.

The other media I have tried is Emitec -R x4 4.7gb, which both players can read but the results are variable.

I'm using DVD Shrink 3.2 to rip and Nero 6 to burn the discs.

Can someone help me before I blow a small fortune making some more coasters?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tim Who?; 7 Nov 2004, 02:27 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Ritek...

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Verbatim...

Comment

• Tim Who?
        • Nov 2004

Thank you.

Comment

• Tim Who?
          • Nov 2004

Actually, my "problems" with media might be down to the drive. I hadn't tried playing any discs on this drive until today and they all skip frames. Commercial titles, DVD-R the lot. Any ideas?

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

How do you play your DVDs (what program)?

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

I have had 100% success with Ritek's Ridisc DVD-R 4x discs (G04 dye). I use a LG 4040B.

The same discs with G05 8x dye should be ok as well.

Comment

• Tim Who?
                • Nov 2004

Cynthia - I'm using Power DVD Deluxe to play back discs. Seems to be fine with the Samsung drive which came with the Dell.

nwg - I've tried Ridisc x8 and that's the only disc I've had fail during a burn.

If anyone's interested in the media I've tested, I have tried the following -R discs on the LG 2330P and Samsung M105 standalone players after burning on the LG. The x4 were burned at x2 and the x8 at x4.

Emitec x4 - Very choppy and completely unplayable on 2 of 3 machines I tested it on.
                Sony x4 - Played poorly on the Samsung I have, not at all on the LG standalone, but played ok on a friends Sony.
                Taiyo Yuden x8 Printable - Wouldn't play at all on the LG, played on the Samsung with the occasional skipped frame.
                ANV Ritek Dye x8 - Choppy playback on both standalones.
                Bulkpaq Prodisc x8 - Plays ok on the Samsung, chop and breakup on the LG.
                Ridisc x8 - Failed the burn process.
                Bulkpaq printable x8 - Failed to play in the LG, played in the Samsung after a very long wait for the disc to load but then lots of chop and pixellation.
                Datawrite Grey x8 - Worked well on both machines.

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

[i]Originally posted by Tim Who? ]
                  nwg - I've tried Ridisc x8 and that's the only disc I've had fail during a burn.
                  I forgot to add that I wouldn't recommend burning at 8x. I would do 4x max. I still burn at 2 or 2.4x.

It does sound strange as Tuyo Yuden along with Grade A Riteks (Ridisc, Ridata and Traxdata), are considered to be amongst the best.

I don't like Bulpaq discs as they have always been problematic most of the time.

Have you tried switching to +R/+RW?

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tim Who?
                    Actually, my "problems" with media might be down to the drive. I hadn't tried playing any discs on this drive until today and they all skip frames. Commercial titles, DVD-R the lot. Any ideas?
                    To find out if it is in the burning process or in the playing process you have your problem - do this test;

Download www.dvdinfopro.com (freeware) insert one of your burned disc and selelct the option "Test your media for CRC read errors" - if you only get green dots you know that your burning is ok and it is the player that causes the problem. If you get any read dots - you know something else.

Comment

• BB_Mike
                      • Aug 2004

My Samsung stand alone player (N501 with Nuon) only lives DVD+R media. It has been happy with:

Memorex 4x (Not the 8x, different animals all together!)
                      Sony 4x and Sony 8x

The above media also play well in and X-box, an Apex, and a Sony stand along player. So, I am sticing with +R media, If sony had the printeable covers, I'd buy them in bulk. In stead I'm still using Memorex 4x media.

I'm using DVD shrink 3.1 to read them in.
                      I'm using Nero 6.6.0.1 to burn them using a Micro Advantage drive (IDE 1008).

Good luck.

Comment

Working...