X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharpdust
    • Nov 2004

New to DVD Burning - Question About Size

Hello,

I have a question about burning DivX videos onto a DVD. How come when I burn it using Nero, it says that a 130 mb file is 2.5 gb? Is it uncompressing it?

If this is the case, then I have another question I have. How to movie DVDs that I buy from the store fit such high quality video onto 4.7 gigs without using something some sort of compression such as DivX?

Thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"How come when I burn it using Nero, it says that a 130 mb file is 2.5 gb? Is it uncompressing it?"

The video portion is being converted to (DVD-compliant) MPEG-2 format, which is typically about 4 times the size of DivX video. You are probably converting an .MP3 audiostream to UNCOMPRESSED PCM stereo (.WAV) format instead of .MP2 audio, otherwise the resultant file wouldn't be as large as you've indicated...

Comment

• sharpdust
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by setarip
      "How come when I burn it using Nero, it says that a 130 mb file is 2.5 gb? Is it uncompressing it?"

The video portion is being converted to (DVD-compliant) MPEG-2 format, which is typically about 4 times the size of DivX video. You are probably converting an .MP3 audiostream to UNCOMPRESSED PCM stereo (.WAV) format instead of .MP2 audio, otherwise the resultant file wouldn't be as large as you've indicated...
      I don't know how I'm converting anything. Is it possible to tell Nero to not do any converting and just burn it as it is (besides from making a Data DVD)?

That also doesn't answer my question about how Movie DVDs (more specifically TV shows seasons on DVDs) mangage to fit such high quailty movies onto one DVD.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I don't know how I'm converting anything."

It might be beneficial to do a little research...

"Is it possible to tell Nero to not do any converting and just burn it as it is (besides from making a Data DVD)?"

Yes, you can burn DivX-compressed .AVIs directly to a DVD without any conversion - but they'll only be usable on your PC and the few standalone DVD players that are capable of playing back DivX-compressed .AVI videos.

"That also doesn't answer my question about how Movie DVDs (more specifically TV shows seasons on DVDs) mangage to fit such high quailty movies onto one DVD."

I've already indicated that YOUR indicated conversion sizes are very much out of the ordinary and, therefore, cannot be used as a barometer of what can be placed on a commercial DVD. Additionally, the commercial DVDs you refer to are typically double-layered, providing twice the space versus the single-layered burnable media (presently) typically used for creating your own DVDs...

Comment

Working...