• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Movie_Junkie
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by skyspirit
    well, since i found no problems with this firmware, in fact it solved my previous issues ill keep it.

anyway, since you havent perform the firmware update, how are you doing with verbatim? no more after you stop using ritek?
    Thanks for asking.

I ordered the Verbatim last Friday. It was shipped and, according to FedEx, will be delivered tomorrow. I will burn at least one movie and let you know the results.

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Nov 2004

SkySpirit:

I did my first burn with Verbatim today. I just finished watching the entire copy including all of the extra content. There were no problems!

While this is a good sign, I will not be convinced that everything is OK until I make a few more burns and watch them.

If you want, I will let you know how things are going.

Comment

• skyspirit
        • Dec 2003

yes, please!

thanks a lot.

Comment

• skyspirit
          • Dec 2003

New firmware update! this one released worldwide, major changes are :

Write speed enhancement to 12x DVD-R and 4x DVD+R Double Layer with compatible media.

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Nov 2004

yes, please!

thanks a lot.
            I have done about 7 more burns and have had time to watch 3 of them. So far everything is still OK.

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Nov 2004

New firmware update! this one released worldwide, major changes are :

Write speed enhancement to 12x DVD-R and 4x DVD+R Double Layer with compatible media.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru710adwn.htm
              I downloaded it, but I am going to wait to see what happens before I use it.

Comment

• skyspirit
                • Dec 2003

Movie_Junkie,

Have you tried to burn a Dual Layer? I made a backup of Harry Potter 3 in a verbatim DL, before this new firmware update came out. Here the issues I found:

1- Right at start there is a menu where you can navigate to select which language you want. In my backup, images are static but if i click it moves on.

2- Dual layer transition. In Original Movies when your reader change layer, you get a 2 seconds pause. That’s normal! Well in my backup i get more than that. Unfortunely, i get 2 seconds pause and a jump forward of around 2 minutes in the movie. I need to "rewind" 1:59 seconds (before the layer change) to resume the movie from the correct position. That’s really annoying.

Apart from these two issues, everything runs smoothly.

This could be, probably, an issue of my DVD Reader, i still have to check. My next step will be perform firmware update and create a new backup using a DL media.

If you try to burn a DL, plz let me know the results.

Thanks a lot.
                Last edited by skyspirit; 7 Dec 2004, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Nov 2004

SkySpirit:

I have not yet tried a burn using DL media. I will let you know when I do.

In regards to the playback problems you have with your DL burn of Harry Potter 3...are they happening when playing the disc back on your 710 or on another player? If it is another player is the playback OK with the 710? Also, if it is another player, is it a stand-alone unit or in a computer?
                  Last edited by Movie_Junkie; 8 Dec 2004, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• skyspirit
                    • Dec 2003

the copy of harry potter3 runs perfectly well on DRU-710A, like if it was original. The problems i found were on my standalone player.

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Nov 2004

the copy of harry potter3 runs perfectly well on DRU-710A, like if it was original. The problems i found were on my standalone player.
                      My guess is that your standalone player has a compatibility problem with recordable DL discs. Even though it may play DVD+R discs, the DVD+R DL discs are much too new to expect total compatibility with the players that were made and sold before the actual release of the DL media.
                      Last edited by Movie_Junkie; 10 Dec 2004, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• skyspirit
                        • Dec 2003

i share same opinion. but ill burn a couple more copies before get any final conclusion..

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Nov 2004

i share same opinion. but ill burn a couple more copies before get any final conclusion..
                          I just received two Verbatim DVD+R DL discs today. I am almost afraid to use them. I think I'll search through my DVDs to see which should be the first movies that I copy to DLs.

Comment

• skyspirit
                            • Dec 2003

LOL

i bought LOTR- return of the king extended version. That's a pretty good movie to perform a backup using DL medias.

im going to try that..

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Nov 2004

LOL

I bought LOTR- return of the king extended version. That's a pretty good movie to perform a backup using DL medias.

im going to try that..
                              Let me know how the backup went.

If you do not yet have a stand alone player that will play your DL discs without the problems you encountered you might want to look at the Lite-On LVW-5005. While I know it records and plays back DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW and CD's, I am not sure if it will play the DL's but since it is made by the same company that makes the drives for the 710A I would think it would have a good chance. A friend of mine just bought that unit about 2 weeks ago and he says it is a great unit.

Comment

• Movie_Junkie
                                Gold Member
                                Gold Member
                                • Nov 2004

Skyspirit:

I am sorry I have not had time to get back to you. I was very busy over the Christmas holiday.

I have burned two DL discs. One is "Austin Powers 2" and the other is "Shrek 2"

I burned them both the same way. I used DVDDecrypter to make an ISO file from the original and I then had it burn the ISO file to the DL disc. The reason I made an ISO file using DVDD, is that, from what I have heard, it will keep the original layer break on the copy.

There was no problem with the first title but with "Shrek 2", for some reason, the disc was not finalised during the burn. After I finalised it manually, it also worked with no problem.

Have you done any more DL discs?

Comment

Working...