Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McGeagh
    • Nov 2004

DVD only plays title page

DVD movie plays only the page displaying which language to choose, then plays the name of the movie distributor. At this point 1) when using Win DVD on a PC - the sofware closes automatically; or 2) when DVD is played in a DVD player, the TV screen turns blank.

This is my first attempt at burning a movie and as such the problem may be novice error, however the DVD (multi-layer) appeared to burn ok, with no glitches during the burning process.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

What software and procedures did you use to create the DVD?

Comment

• McGeagh
      • Nov 2004

I used the latest version of DVD shrink (3.2) and followed step by step instructions obtained at www.doom9.org - these instructions were, however, for version 3.1.
      The instructions were 1) start DVD Shrink, 2) select source disk - Shrink then performed an analysis, 3) I then configured the project by simply selecting the option to backup the entire DVD, 4) once this was done, a blank DVD was inserted and I burnt the movie.
      As the burn process progressed, I was able to see the movie in a small window. At the completion of the process, a message indicated the burn process was successful

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Just sounds like flawed media...

Comment

• McGeagh
          • Nov 2004

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on your comment re "flawed media"? I followed the same procedure today, using a different movie, however this time when I attempted to play the burnt movie from within WIN DVD, this application closed itself.
          I am using a multi-layer burner and m/layer disks, along with the latest version of Nero.

Thanks

Comment

• Dj Eclipse
            • Nov 2004

Is your burner a LG?

Comment

• McGeagh
              • Nov 2004

No it is a Pioneer. I was told it was a multi layer burner, however I can find no evidence of this noted/written on the front casing. I will check the original invoice later. Note, I have been using m/layer dvd's.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

If your burner is dual layer and your media also, there is no point in using DVD Shrink.
                You might find some info on your model on www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"No it is a Pioneer."

What is the MODEL number?

Comment

• erikberto
                    • Dec 2004

Sounds more like dual format than dual layer. Plus dual layer media is like $10.00/disc right now.

Comment

• McGeagh
                      • Nov 2004

The model is DVD-RW DVR-108. It is a dual layer burner.
                      The discs I have been using are DVD+R DL. Is it worth trying
                      DVD-R DL discs?

Comment

• petergscott
                        • Dec 2004

Have you resolved the issue. I have had a similar problem. I burned a Verbatim DL on a pioneer DL burner in the exact way that you did. The disk played ok in my pioneer set top DVD player however it didn't play in my panasonic DVD set top player. It played the same as yours. All can attribute it to is that the panasonic dvd player doesn't play +R DL disks.

I have read that the +R DL were exactly the same as the dual layer disks used by the Movie studios, I know have my doubts. I am going to take the burnt disk to a friendly retailer and try to play it on a Sony Player that states it plays +R.

Comment

• sfheath
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Sep 2003

www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers might help.
                          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• petergscott
                            • Dec 2004

The Panasonic DVD / VCR Combo NV-VP32 is not listed. I have checked the Aus Panasonic site and the specsa say that it doesn't play +R format so I presume that it doesn't play +R DL.

So much for the DVD +RW Alliance stating (copied from http://www.dvdrw.com/why/doublelayer.htm):

'But the best thing is, you can play a DVD+R DL disc in your current DVD-Video player, DVD games console, or DVD-ROM equipped PC. Double layer playback has been part of the DVD format since the beginning, so most existing DVD playback equipment has no problem playing the new high capacity DVD+R DL discs!'

Comment

• dgs2001
                              • Dec 2004

I'm still fairly new to this myself but I assume that if your recorder supported book type setting to DVD ROM, then your standalone DVD/VCR Combo would play it.

I say this 'cause my sony DRU700 changes dvd +r and dvd +rw to DVD ROM and then in my stand alone player the discs load as DVD ROM.

I must admit I havent tried it yet with a DVD+R DL !!

Comment

Working...