X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jetamaan
    • Nov 2004

Problems backin up Shrek 1 reg 2

Hi,

I'm rather new in this field, so forgive me if I don't use all the correct terms etc. My problem is as follows:
    I want to backup Shrek and Shrek 2, using DVDShrink 3.2. I've been reading through a lot of threads concerning this specific DVD, but my problem seems to be unique. When I start the analysis, after about 1 or 2% I get an error:

DVD Shrink encountered an error an cannot continue. Failed to read file E:\ (my DVD player) Invalid acces to memory location (I translated this part from Dutch, so it might differ in the English version)

I've read a couple of more threads which mention this problem and the advice given is to use DVD Decrypter. When I decrypt the DVD and use the files with DVD Shrink, I get the same error message. I've tried all different kinds of advice given in the threads I've read, but none solve my problem.

I've also tried to shrink it with A4 DVD Shrinker. This one goes to 99.98% and than quits.

So it's a hard nut to crack, I assume. But of course someone is going to tell me it can be cracked, right?
  • Floppy

Make sure the the source disk is not damaged or dirty in any way...

The other thing when using DVD decriptor is that you should rip the whole DVD and not just the film and then use DVD shrink on it...

Comment

• charlypuss
      • Nov 2004

Hi jetaman.
      what equipment are you using ? PC or laptop ect ect..
      If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• Jetamaan
        • Nov 2004

I've used the default settings in DVD Decrypter and it looks like it only ripped the video part of the DVD. Which settings do I have to alter to make sure it rips the entire DVD?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Use "File" mode. Select "ALL files", NOT just "movie files"...

Comment

• Jetamaan
            • Nov 2004

Mmmm, it's allready set like that. So, why does it place the ripped files in a folder called C:\Shrek\Video_TS? Because that's why I thought it only ripped the video part. Probably because it's also some default, of course.
            Still the same error message...It's getting on my nerves. I've cleaned the original, I've reinstalled XP (SP1), read all the threads about this specific DVD and I really need a rip of this one!AAAARRGH

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"So, why does it place the ripped files in a folder called C:\Shrek\Video_TS?"

Because ALL files (.IFOs, .BUPs, and .VOBs) MUST be in the "VIDEO_TS" folder...

"Still the same error message..."

You did (after using DVD Decrypter) REMOVE the DVD and then started DVD Shrink - and then selected "Open Files" and NOT "Open Disk", didn't you?

Comment

• Floppy

Why complicate things, I always ask...

I use Re-author mode on DVD Shrink 3. and the results are perfect every time round....

I can always just open the original DVD and play the extras if it needs be... How many times does one need or want to watch the extras anyway????

When your backing up Shrek 2 apparently there are two Film files you are presented with... I beleive the right one to chose is the one which is samallest file and contains the original film and story...

For a complete guide on both DVD Shrink and DVD decriptor go here...

Comment

• Floppy

I think you were just that little faster at posting the answer...

A good point raised too, setarip....

Comment

• Jetamaan
                    • Nov 2004

setarip: yes, I did as you reply (remove the original etc)...

floppy: this goes a bit beyond me. I'll follow your link to the guides.

Thanks for your time, both of you

Comment

• Floppy

DVD decripter is a better ripper (but it cant shrink files ) than DVD Shrink, none the less I never came across a DVD that DVD Shrink couldnt handle by itself in its totality..

My suggestion is that you should give the Re-author mode a wirl on DVD Shrink with your Shrek film(s).

You will soon find out the advantages of this process...

Your welcome for the help, I hope it works...

Lets us know.

Comment

Working...