Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BB_Mike
    • Aug 2004

Can ALL of this media be bad?!?

I'm really having trouble here. I did the trial and error of media when I started out with DVD shrink, just like everyone else here. I decided on Memorex DVD+R as it worked best in my Samsung player, as well as other players I have. Everything worked fine, untill I had to re-order once my blank media stack ran out....

Here are some media and the results they have:

Code:
        BRAND               IDnumber                  Result
    Memorex 4x       RICOHJPN R01              GOOD
    Generic 4x             AML 001                    GOOD
    Sony V1.2 8x        SONY D11                   GOOD

Memorex 8x       CMC MAG E01                  BAD
    Generic 4x            AML 001                        BAD 
    Sony V1.1 4x     RICOHJPN R01             HALF/HALF
    My problem first arose when I bought the Memorex 8x media. I got pauses very late in the movie (as did another poster here).

EDIT
    PROBLEM FIXED
    reading in the bad media using disc-check under Nero as well as DVD-info caused many CRC errors. These errors caused windows to force my drive to PIO from U-DMA.
    see the 'how to fix" post here:
    Last edited by BB_Mike; 23 Nov 2004, 03:02 PM.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Hi again!

I have never been clear over if you did install the firmware update or not.

Why don't you buy a good RW disc to try out with?

Comment

• BB_Mike
      • Aug 2004

I have the latest firmware for my burner. It has not changed throughout the ENTIRE burning saga. Only Nero has been updated.

I started with a poor RW media, then realized I would not need to do and "RE"-writing, so some +R is fine by me. Honestly, if it worked once it should work again. I mean, it's electronics for crying out loud?

Maybe I need to get superstitious and use trinkets and charms or even a little rain-dance...

I'm off to drink my sorrows away...

Oh, and Cynthia, during my last trip to Sweden I picked up a cool drinking glass. On it is says....

"Alkohol loser inga problem!"
      "Det gor inte mjolk heller."

Sorry, I lack the swedish letter on my keyboard. I think it means "Alkohol will not solve problems! But Milk will not either."
      correct?

Comment

• BB_Mike
        • Aug 2004

SOLUTION.... maybe

This could very well be a PC software issue. I have to presume my PC hardware is fine. Possibly a virus, or unwarranted patch of Nero. I also have to presume that once new firmware is flashed to a drive, it can not be damaged in any way.

With the same source files (.VOB, etc), and another PC, the burning process works just fine with the Sony "RICOHJPN R01" media. So, this supports the idea that the same ID means the same media.

I'm not sure exactly what to do next. I did some intense virus scanning.

If this doesn't work, I will re-install Nero.

I will not alter DVD-Shrink from version 3.1 The decrytpion process is fine.

Comment

• Cassbowen
          • Sep 2004

Mike
          I was experiencing a similar problem to yours. Today, I uninstalled my Nero update and now all is well. Hope this works for you too.

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BB_Mike
            "Alkohol löser inga problem!"
            "Det gör inte mjölk heller."

Sorry, I lack the swedish letter on my keyboard. I think it means "Alkohol will not solve problems! But Milk will not either."
            correct?
            The translation is correct - if the sentence is correct I don't know...

Comment

• BB_Mike
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Cassbowen
              Mike
              I was experiencing a similar problem to yours. Today, I uninstalled my Nero update and now all is well. Hope this works for you too.
              You can do that? I mean, just that? How so?

Cimthia. Alkohol did not solve my problems tonight... or today for that matter... got started a little early. I miss the Tuborg.

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

Tuborg is danish...

Comment

• Cassbowen
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by BB_Mike
                  You can do that? I mean, just that? How so?

Sorry Mike, I wasn't very clear, was I.

I uninstalled the version of Nero which I had updated to from off their website I then reinstalled the version which came bundled with my burner. No more problems.

Comment

• BB_Mike
                    • Aug 2004

It just seems odd that Nero would release a major update that doesn't work. I started to send my problem to NERO, but it would take too long to fill out their all every damn bit of information that they want. It'd be faster to just uninstall and reinstall, and that elliminates waiting on their reply not to mention the work to "fix" things.

I'm beginning to wonder if my DVD burning drive is faulty.

I'll start a new post, since I now know that most of this media is good. So, I now believe that the same ID number means it's the same media..

Comment

• Floppy

Hello

If youd like a previous version of nero B4 this major update find it here...

ftp://ftp.nero.com/software/NeroBurn.../nero63125.exe

For older versions

ftp://ftp.nero.com/software/CurrentV.../nero63120.exe

Or just browse on their FTP site for the version you want

ftp://ftp.nero.com

Comment

• cynthia
                        Super Moderatress
                        • Jan 2004

I wonder why Nero has put up their old version to be downloaded again: http://www.nero.com/en/nero6_3.html

Comment

• Floppy

I dont wonder, I know...

This is because they know they are up to theire heads (ha, ha) in complaints from their failed attempts of a good all round burning software to keep up with the rest of the worlds demands for a fairly bug free version of theire software...

Unfortunatly SP2 as more than let things down because not everybody has gone for SP2 the later version of the Nero 6 Reloaded for instance is alright working within a SP2 enviroment with a few bugs out there, but the same version of the reloaded 6.6 wont be working along with an "inferior" code from the XP family...

Not a very technical explanation but it summons the why of their decision to go back to a version that aparently didnt give that many problems...

Little do they know....

Comment

• cynthia
                            Super Moderatress
                            • Jan 2004

Have been running XP prof SP1 with the various versions of Nero up to 6.6. Some days ago I decided to take the SP2 update. No problems with Nero 6.6.

Comment

• Floppy

As I have explained in diferent threads, It depends also very much on what your pc config is and the software enviroment....

To be more specifis it is all down to shared files...

Not everyone will find obvious faults with software but there are too many users that are overwelmed with the bugs...

I could go on but only to mention that a good portion of users are either using pirated versions of the soft, but there is also the issue of serial nr misactivation by some original soft...

Both suffer the side effects of a great deal more bugs with theire burning soft...

I have problems with i.e. Nerovision 3 but all other parts of Nero are fine, then again I have a full retail version of nero (the best) in my opinion.

This is all to add to SP2 all the software each as on the PC and hardware config...

I am just about to transfer both my hard drives from IDE to SATA connections in search for a faster and better tranfer rate... Who know what that will entail...

Comment

Working...