Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atomiser
    • Nov 2004

weird problem...

well, first of all - hello! first post and all! got a bit of a strange one ... first off, heres the equipment:

amd athlon xp 2500+
    abit nsf7 v2.0
    512 megs of 3200ddr ram
    maxtor 80 gb sata
    samsung ts-h552b (firmware ts05)

then the media:

datawrite 4.7gb 8x grey tops

then the software:

windows xp pro sp1
    dvdshrink 3.2
    ahead nero 6 ultra
    alcohol 120%
    virtual cd 5.0

and now the problem:

dvd shrink works perfectly (SO impressed! ) ... using it to create iso images ... if mounted using either alcohol120% or vcd5.0 they work fine. if i try to burn them using nero 6 or alcohol120% then no programs report any errors whatsoever. the disc even plays fine ... right up untill almost the exact same failure point in each film... so far ive had about 10-15 coasters!

im thinking its probably the media...but im new to the whole dvd thing so anything else to try before i shell out on some different coasters to try?!

(p.s. it did do some rather strange things on data dvd's too ... small amounts of data appear to be ok, but if you get anywhere near filling the disc...it doesnt like it one bit! nero can read the disc [albeit after hanging for a while] but windows doesnt want to know! also, the cd-rw side of things appears to work flawlessly! tearing my hear out!)

cheers, andy.
    Last edited by atomiser; 22 Nov 2004, 10:43 PM.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

sounds like you may have answered your own problem!
    media is easily the most prolific bugbear to this field. check out your burner and brand of media compatibility in http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to begin with methinks!
    poorer quality media do get a bit frail at the outside edge which is the end of the recording. RW's tend to have a better coating I think.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• atomiser
      • Nov 2004

thanks

thanks for your reply...

on further investigation though i just verified what firmware my drive was using - i thought i had updated it to ts05 ... but for some reason i think that must have failed because it was only running ts03 ... i have now just re-updated the drive and successfully burnt 2 dvd's one after the other without fail.

im not 100% sure this has fixed it ... ill need to do a few more before im convinced!

Comment

• Floppy

Sound that your like most of us and in your case keeping your cool and persisting, won the day..

I can point out a cheap and chearfull place to buy your Media in the uk...

Coasters, naa thanks mate...

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Re: weird problem...

Originally posted by atomiser
          ahead nero 6 ultra
          What exact version? 6.x.x.x

Comment

• atomiser
            • Nov 2004

floppy - thanks for the link, thats where i got them from in the first place! overclockers.co.uk are marginally cheaper - and they process their orders a little faster too.

cynthia - its nero 6.3.0.2

p.s. all - ive since burnt another 6 and they have all worked flawlessly ... so if anyone has a samsung ts-h552b, make sure its running the latest firmware!

Last edited by atomiser; 23 Nov 2004, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Knowing the regulars around This is a good heads up...

This is what great help is all about...

At time of order blankdiskshop were cheaper than overclockers simply cause I was buying DVD's and covers at same time...This is considering postage costs as well.

Comment

Working...