Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moralwallflower
    • Nov 2004

DVD Shrink Back-up Problem

This is forum is new to me so bear with me...

I love using DVD Shrink (latest version) ... I think it's the best thing in the world for backing up DVD's ...

I have been backing up DVD's for awhile and loved it but lately I have been having problems and I can't seem to find it anywhere. What happens is... Backup the DVD's is no problems, it always works fine. I like testing the backed up DVD's before burning them to disc to avoid coasters. I do this by using the latest PowerDVD program (v.6) and watch it. But lately everytime I back up a DVD and load it into Power DVD, the DVD menu's does nothing. I can't select an option, play or anything. Normally, there would be abackground video or something before the menu right? Well, lately it would just go straight to the menu and nothing works. Most times i can tell it the DVD wasn't backed up properly by seeing if the Paramount or 20th Century Fox logo "sqeezed" a bit.

When I started DVD back ups long ago, this was a rare thing and when it did happen, I tried burning to see if it would be fine when burnt. It did the same thing on my DVD Player. This is what got me to start "testing" backed up DVD in PowerDVD. But now this problem seems to be constant. I have just reformatted my computer with xp pro sp2 as well...

I have tried backing up the same DVD's 2 or 3 times but same results. I have tried doing "in depth analysis" in the DVD Shrink options.

I also have the latest Nero and latest EZ CD/DVD creator and both do a great job at burning.. I also have XP PRO SP2, a 2.4Ghz P4, 512 MB pc2700 (dual channel) , a second 160 GB HD for backing up DVD's

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

There's one line in your post that worries me - you have Nero <b>and</b> EZ CD/DVD Creator.
    Both these applications have thir own packet-writing utility and many have fallen into grief by these conflicting. First off, I'd suggest you uninstall one of the packet writing applications, then see what you have.
    In Shrink you are not reauthoring? That disables menus although I think there's a workround for that.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• moralwallflower
      • Nov 2004

I know there can be a possible problem with Nero and EZ CD/DVD conflicting with each other but I have always had both since they both have features I like.
      Does DVD Shrink have any connection to the Packet-writing when it comes backing up dvd onto the Hard-Drive?? I don't use the automatic back-up and burn feature in DVD Shrink. I like backing up onto Hard-drive, test then burn if it works out fine.

Also I use the Full Back -Up Feature not the reauthoring feature.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

As a test, first use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Then try to PLAY the hard drive version of the DVD with PowerDVD. Does it play properly?

Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO"

By the way, when you use PowerDVD, you are playing the ripped files "As DVD", aren't you, and not simply playing the individual .VOBs?
        Last edited by setarip; 23 Nov 2004, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• moralwallflower
          • Nov 2004

Sorry for not getting back to you..... I was busy today...

Anyway here are my test results:

I ripped with DVD Decyrptor (I didn't realize i had an old version, 3.2) and I now see that it's not the DVD Shrink that I have a problem with. I opened up the files into Power DVD (and yes i load as a DVD not a file at a time) and the menu did nothing again.

So obviously there's no point to try to shrink these files in DVD Shrink. My problem is not with that..... Anywa, I also remove EZ CD creater and tried again. Again i got the same results.

What can I do??? This is becoming annoying.... Do you still have an idea what might be causing this????

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

What happens when you try to play the ORIGINAL, COMMERCIAL DVD under PowerDVD?

Comment

• moralwallflower
              • Nov 2004

it works fine... that was why i thought it was DVD Shrink in the first place.... Any ideas????

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

I'm afraid I have no other suggestions. Perhaps another poster will offer additional insight.

This IS happening with MORE THAN ONE commercial DVD, isn't it?

Comment

• moralwallflower
                  • Nov 2004

I was just palying around with again. I opened up the files copied to the Hard Drive from DVD Decryptor and loaded into Power DVD. It went straight to the menu like i mentioned before. I decided to leave it play and see what whappens. I noticed that after waiting a short while, it started to play the animation usually found before the menu then it started to short every page and every found on the menu. Finally after all the options in the menu, it would play the movie/episodes without the chapters. But Still i can't select or click on anything...

I am out of ideas what to do to solve this....

Comment

• moralwallflower
                    • Nov 2004

This is happening to my Star Trek: Voyager DVD Set... This was also happening to my Band of the Brothers DVD set But with the Band of the Brothers everytime i redid the process of backing up the DVD's it would finally work.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Also I use the Full Back -Up Feature not the reauthoring feature."

Since your problem sounds SO typical of those who've used "Re-author" mode while including the menu (which will not be functional if "Re-author" is used), I've got to aky - Are you SURE you're not using "Re-author" mode?

Comment

• moralwallflower
                        • Nov 2004

Yes. I am sure .... also it's doing the same thing when use DVD Decryptor (which don't have a "reauthor mode".....

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

Then, as I said before, I am out of ideas what to do to solve this....

Quite a dilemma!

Comment

• Mig$y
                            Retired
                            • Jan 2004

Could you try this:

Open PowerDVD, Press CTRL & O. Select "Open DVD File on Hard Disk Drive". Navigate to the files DVD Decrypter ripped and select the Video_ts.ifo.

This should open exactly the same as the original.

Edit - After re-reading I have just asked you to do what "setarip" suggested in his first post in this thread.

It just doesn't make sense........
                            Last edited by Mig$y; 24 Nov 2004, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...