Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charlypuss
    • Nov 2004

A language puzzle

I am fairly new to DVD Shrink but have been playing (and working ) with computers and electronics since the days of the Sinclair ZX ?.. The question I have is this.. I live and work in Spain, but I am English (sort of) so I like my films in English. All of the DVD's that I buy are purchased here in Spain, and when I watch or back them up I switch to English. When the DVD has been reproduced by a Spanish film company (legally) It is full of Spanish adverts ect which i don't want. No probs I just back up the main movie ...Magic. Here is the question. Even though I have everthing set to English when I play back the track to check it before I press "back up" it comes up in Spanish. The copied DVD is perfect and in English, But the preview in DVD shrink is definitely Spanish.....
    This aint a complaint, I just don't know why and thats the annoying bit.. but happy.
    If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Re: A language puzzle

Originally posted by charlypuss
    the Sinclair ZX ?..
    ZX 81 - Mine is still working...

In the preview window - right-clic and you can switch the default sound.

Comment

• Floppy

Hi there

I had a Timex 68K with the Plug in cartridge on the side... Brilliant thing, I spent hours coding in Basic those says now all I have is the tapes I saved all my work with...

Ahh the good old days...

Anyway, when your Re-author mode as finished and your ready to back up, on the right pane click on the compression settings tab and remove all but the english sound streams... (See Example 001)

And on the left pane just to make sure right click on the film file and scrol down to set default streams (see Example002)

Now Choose the Default audio Stream that you wish your DVD player to play only (see Example003) The hide subpicture will ensure no subtitle is displayed automatically.

This is will ensure that your now backing up just the English Audio streams and if you wish a Subtitle subpicture can be done as well the same way...
      Last edited by Guest; 22 Nov 2005, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

And for the final Example003
        Last edited by Guest; 22 Nov 2005, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• charlypuss
          • Nov 2004

Well I am glad to see I am not the only old knacker in this forum. Cynthia I have still got mine as well with the tape recorder for backing up with. Oooooh the joys of BASIC and a silly keyboard but happy days.....Enough this memory lane stuff..
          I have tried everthing you said Floppy and Cynthia, but no luck. These DVD's are sold by MIRAMAX which is the largest importer and dubbers of Films in Spain. The copies I have made work fine and are ONLY in English. It's just the preview keeps coming up in Spanish... Any more Idea's guys..
          If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

One could speculate that DVD Shrink's preview mode simply selects the first audiostream that appears on the original DVD...

You'd probably fare better by reposting this thread in the DVD Shrink-specific sub-forums here. Perhaps it will catch the author's eye.
            Last edited by setarip; 25 Nov 2004, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Beats me how you can still have a spanish stream coming thru after our mixed advice...

Is this still true after you burned the film though???

Comment

• charlypuss
                • Nov 2004

Hi Floppy. When the disc is burnt it has only the English stream as selected. No subtitles, menu's, adverts nada. AND it works puuuuuurfectley. Just the ruddy preview. But hey I speak Some Spanish so it aint major problem. I just wondered why.
                As suggested by setarip this has been reposted in the DVD Shrink forum. CU there

Comment

• Floppy

Yo puedo hablar espanol, esso no eres nada... mas importante eres saber porque esso continua a acontecer...

Comment

• charlypuss
                    • Nov 2004

Thanks Floppy. I know it might be important, but at the end of the day I can still get what I want out of the program. I think it might just be a problem with these reauthored disks by the Spanish division of CBS....... No worries

Comment

• Floppy

mmm

I know what you mean.. In Portugal I find that Spanish TV dubbs all audio to spanish (very corny)...

reminds me of the kung-Fu films of not long ago...

Maybe it is inbedded on the Video streams this is why you still get it...

Have you tried editing the files...

Comment

• charlypuss
                        • Nov 2004

I have not tried to edit the files 'cos it's an awful lot of work for a small gain. Nice thought tho'. Might give it a whizz when my workload slacks off a bit. Really I am just interested in the "why" as it does not really cause a problem...

Comment

• Floppy

I the why for this lies with CBS spain and the way they add stuff to the video streams....

hope it works when you come about to try it...

keep us posted though...

Comment

Working...